DescriptionAlso called NVL games, "digital novels", and "choose-your-own-adventure games": games in which the story is told through text overlaid on a background representing the scene being described. The player's input is confined to periodically making choices which might affect the direction and outcome of the story. Mostly regarded as a branch of Japanese adventure, but Western examples exist as well.
Kengo Inui is the perfect model citizen. He wakes up five minutes before his alarm clock goes off, and exercises...
In this sequel, the player, who is now in a steady romantic relationship with love interest Arisa, finds himself falling...
PlayStation 2 (2007)
Yuri Minami is a young teacher working at Seitei Gakuen, a campus containing all levels of school until university. Yuri...
PlayStation 2 (2009)
Vitamin Z is the sequel to Vitamin X, taking place after the events of the previous game. Former protagonist Yuri...
Space explorers from Earth discovered a strange cosmic object: a giant pumpkin nearing the planet. Upon establishing contact with the...
After a snowstorm, Trick the wolf's friend goes missing. She travels all over the world searching for her. Where could...
Casio Loopy (1995)
It's Momo's birthday today, and her parents have a surprise for her: a puppy! She names her new friend Baku,...
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 88 Zero Escape: Volume 2 - Virtue's Last Reward
- 87 Zero Escape: Volume 2 - Virtue's Last Reward
- 87 Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
- 86 999: Nine Hours • Nine Persons • Nine Doors
- 85 Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
- 85 Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
- 82 To the Moon
- 81 Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
- 81 Finding Paradise
- 81 Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
Games must have at least a Critic Score of 80 to be considered.
Visual Novel is part of Gameplay. This group of genres contain:
- Action RPG
- Beat 'em up / Brawler
- Board Game
- Cards / Tiles
- Casino / Gambling
- City Building / Construction Simulation
- Dating Simulation
- Falling Block Puzzle
- Game Show / Trivia / Quiz
- Graphic Adventure
- Hack and Slash
- Hidden object
- Interactive Book
- Interactive Fiction / Text Adventure
- Japanese-style Adventure
- Japanese-style RPG (JRPG)
- Life / Social Simulation
- Managerial / Business Simulation
- Martial Arts
- Massively Multiplayer
- Mental training
- Music / Rhythm
- Paddle / Pong
- Party Game
- Puzzle elements
- Quick Time Events (QTEs)
- Rail Shooter
- RPG elements
- Sandbox / Open World
- Survival Horror
- Tactical RPG
- Tactical Shooter
- Tile Matching Puzzle
- Timed Input
- Time Management
- Tower Defense
- Trading / Collectible Card
- Tricks / Stunts
- Vehicle Simulator
- Vehicular Combat Simulator
- Visual Novel
- Word Construction