Join our Discord to chat with fellow friendly gamers and our knowledgeable contributors!
MobyGames site updates - June 29th.
A few brief updates as we continue to do what we do best - document the history of video games in terrifying detail!
- There's been two new game platforms added recently: OS/2, the Microsoft/IBM OS which got beaten by Windows in the '90s, and the Thomson MO (which, yes, is sufficiently different from Thomson TO to list separately, and is sorta a French version of the C64 or ZX Spectrum, from the mid'80s.) Thanks to all who helped add/contribute to those so far.
- Although we're waiting for a code push to update the goal, new MobyGoal is to get 250 ZX81 games. And we've already gone from 80 to 133 since we asked. So try to complete the goal before it's even displayed, for bonus points :P
- Otherwise, it's business as usual, although we're trying to get more organized for when regular code updates on the site return. This will not be for at least a couple of weeks, due to demands on Moby site owner Reed's time. (MobyGames does not currently bring in enough revenue through ads/affiliate to allow anyone to work on it fulltime.)
Thankfully, Indra is helping to codify some of the more important suggestions (here) and bugs (here) for future MobyGames development in the forums. Yep, we will probably move to bug tracking software at some point, but not just yet cos a) Indra is HAVING FUN and b) The data is getting built up in a readable way right now anyhow. Please resubmit bugs or suggestions now if you want Indra to add them to the list.
Folks - just a quick update on how we're doing on MobyGames - with this update coming in three main areas:
- CODERS WANTED: Now we have MobyGames in source control and we've got over some of the first hurdles, we're interested in community help to improve the (relatively old) code, which is the main reason why new tech updates are sluggish. Please PM myself if you think you can help - the site uses Perl with a PostgreSQL database.
- PRIORITIES BEING SET UP: We're working with 'volunteers' Indra and Nelio to get our rather gigantic Bugs and Suggestions forums distilled down to a master list that the site owners can prioritize. Reed - who has been on hiatus from code changes recently due to some other duties - is coming back in the next few days, and we want to have a list of both smaller and larger tasks we can start working on.
- CHALLENGES: Our main current challenges at MobyGames are around the speed of approval (as many regular submitters will know) & around the ability of non-Admins to change data - hence the massive amount of corrections hanging around in the system.
To fix these: 1. We're looking at expanding Approver+ privileges (there is a level beyond Approver that we created in the last few months) to help corrections get fixed by senior contributors. 2. We're still looking at select item auto-approval for senior/veteran contributors, but have not yet fully worked through the ramifications of this, and will proceed carefully!
And that's where we are! Thanks to all contributors, and questions welcome.