Moby ID: 47438
Biography edit · view history
Gunpei Yokoi (横井 軍平, September 10, 1941 – October 4, 1997) was born in Kyoto and graduated from the Doshisha University with a degree in electronics. Nintendo hired him in 1965 to maintain assembly-line machines that manufactured hanafuda cards. He worked as a planner and designer for Nintendo as far back as the 1970s, creating their first electronic toy, the Ultra Hand, and going on to create their lineup of Game & Watch games. He also was the producer of Metroid and Kid Icarus.
Yokoi is best known for designing the Game Boy, one of the most popular handheld systems in the world. He helped produce some of its most popular titles, including the Mario Land series and many first-generation titles. He also helped create the Virtual Boy, Nintendo's less popular console. Even though the Virtual Boy failed, he continued to contribute to Nintendo every now and then. Yokoi died in 1997 in a car accident, He was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award in Japan, presented by Yuji Naka and accepted in his honor by his family.
Credited on 69 games
Displaying most recent · View all
|4.5 Trillion Puzzle (2014, Xbox 360)||Thanks to|
|Aliens: Colonial Marines (2013, Xbox 360)||Personal Thanks|
|GW Helmet (2008, iPhone)||Original Concept|
|GW Fire (2008, iPhone)||Original Concept|
|GW Parachute (2008, iPhone)||Original Concept|
|GW Octopus (2008, iPhone)||Original Concept|
|GW Chef (2008, iPhone)||Original Concept|
|Famicom Tantei Club: Kieta Kōkeisha (2007, Wii)||Production (せいさく)|
|Kid Icarus (2007, Wii)||Producer|
|Gunpey (2006, PSP)||Original Game Concept|
|Gunpey DS (2006, Nintendo DS)||Original Game Concept|
|Densetsu no Stafy (2002, Game Boy Advance)||Special Thanks|
|Dr. Mario 64 (2001, Nintendo 64)||Original Concept|
|Game Boy Camera (included games) (1998, Game Boy)||Special Thanks|
|Tetris Attack (1996, Game Boy)||Producer|
|Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu (1996, SNES)||Producer|
|3-D Tetris (1996, Virtual Boy)||Producer|
|Kirby's Block Ball (1995, Game Boy)||Producers|
|Virtual Boy Wario Land (1995, Virtual Boy)||Producer|
|Panel de Pon (1995, SNES)||Producer|
[ full credits ]
- 39 games with Hiroshi Yamauchi
- 34 games with Hirokazu Tanaka
- 24 games with Masao Yamamoto
- 22 games with Makoto Kanoh
- 22 games with Hitoshi Yamagami
- 20 games with Takahiro Harada
- 19 games with Masafumi Sakashita
- 17 games with Takehiro Izushi
- 16 games with Satoru Okada
- 15 games with Yoshio Sakamoto
- 54 games with Nintendo Co., Ltd.
- 43 games with Nintendo of America Inc.
- 23 games with Nintendo R&D1
- 18 games with Tim Girvin Design, Inc.
- 16 games with Nintendo of Europe GmbH
- 15 games with Intelligent Systems Co., Ltd.
- 13 games with Playtronic Industrial Ltda.
- 8 games with Tose Co., Ltd.
- 8 games with Bergsala AB
- 5 games with Mobile 1UP