Biography edit · view history
John Romero is a game designer, programmer, artist and sequential artist whose work spans over 150 games, 100 of which have been published commercially, including the iconic works Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Quake. His contributions and philanthropy within the commercial game industry have led to many inspired games and the founding of ten companies.
He is best known for his work on 3D level design, game design, game balance, and overall progression for both single-player and multi-player. He was also instrumental in the promoting of cybersports, from LAN parties to DWANGO to the Cyberathlete Professional League. He is considered by many to be the father of deathmatch competitions.
One of the earliest “indie” developers, Romero began working in the game space in 1979 on mainframes before moving to the Apple II in 1981. He is a completely self-taught programmer, designer and artist, having drawn his inspirations from early Apple II programmers, including the likes of Nasir Gebelli, Richard Garriott, Bill Budge and Tony Suzuki.
Romero is currently working on games at his game company,
Credited on 141 games
Displaying most recent · View all
|Postal: Brain Damaged (2022, Windows)||Special Thanks|
|One Humanity (2022, Windows)||Author|
|Quake (2021, Windows)||Design|
|Empire of Sin (2020, Windows)||Studio Director|
|Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (2019, Windows)||And Special Thanks to...|
|Lonely Mountains: Downhill (2019, Windows)||Special Thanks|
|Doom II (2019, PlayStation 4)||Software Engineers|
|Sigil (2019, DOS)||Created by|
|Sigil (Beast Box) (2019, DOS)||Created by|
|Barf Royale (2018, iPhone)||Sound|
|Age of Empires: Definitive Edition (2018, Windows Apps)||Special Thanks To|
|The Darkside Detective (2017, Windows)||Special Thanks|
|Alien Downpour (2017, Apple II)||Thanks and Greetz To|
|Strafe (2017, Windows)||Special Thanks|
|July 4, 1976 (2017, iPhone)||Design|
|The Franz Kafka Videogame (2017, Windows)||Cameo|
|Warpcop III (2017, iPhone)||Sound Design|
|Gunman Taco Truck (2017, Windows)||Designer|
|ADR1FT (2016, Windows)||Thank You|
|Grom Skate (2015, iPad)||Design|
[ full credits ]
- 62 games with John Carmack
- 40 games with Adrian Carmack
- 38 games with Tom A. Hall
- 22 games with Kevin Cloud
- 21 games with Jay Wilbur
- 20 games with Robert Prince
- 18 games with Sandy Petersen
- 18 games with Jerry Jones
- 18 games with Shawn C. Green
- 16 games with American McGee
- 45 games with id Software, Inc.
- 39 games with Softdisk Publishing
- 18 games with Valve Corporation
- 15 games with Capitol Ideas Software
- 15 games with Atari, Inc.
- 14 games with Apogee Software, Ltd.
- 9 games with GT Interactive Software Europe Ltd.
- 9 games with Uptime Disk Monthly
- 9 games with Unity Technologies ApS
- 9 games with Gamer's Edge