David Wise was hired by Ashby Computers and Graphics (now Rare Ltd.) in 1985. He played in a few bands when he was young. He worked at a music store, and he made a demonstration on a Yamaha CX5 music computer when one day Tim
and Chris Stamper
walked in saw this demonstration and hired him to compose music for their games. From 1985 up until 1994, he was the sole music composer for the company. He wrote music for all of Rare's games or programmed other compositions from other systems that were ported to the NES by Rare. Many of these games did not have credits within them, but he is the only known composer during this period.
His best known work is composing the Donkey Kong Country series of games, which is also one of the better SNES music compositions.
Today, he is still composing music for Rare.
Also Known As
- Sorcery! (2013), Inkle Studios
- AXRIA Retro World (2012),
- Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (2008), Microsoft Game Studios
- Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise (2008), THQ Inc.
- Diddy Kong Racing DS (2007), Nintendo of America Inc.
- It's Mr Pants (2004), THQ Inc.
- Star Fox Adventures (2002), Nintendo of America Inc.
- Super Smash Bros.: Melee (2001), Nintendo Co., Ltd.
- Mickey's Racing Adventure (1999), Nintendo Co., Ltd.
- Diddy Kong Racing (1997), Rare, Ltd.
- Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (1996), Nintendo of America Inc.
- Donkey Kong Land 2 (1996), Nintendo of America Inc.
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (1995), Nintendo of Europe GmbH
- Donkey Kong Land (1995), Nintendo of America Inc.
- Donkey Kong Country (1994), Nintendo of Europe GmbH
- Monster Max (1994), Titus France SA
- Double Dare (1990), GameTek, Inc.
- Pin-Bot (1990), Nintendo of America Inc.
- Solar Jetman: Hunt for the Golden Warpship (1990), Tradewest, Inc.
- Cobra Triangle (1989), Nintendo of America Inc.
- WWF Wrestlemania (1988), Acclaim Entertainment, Inc.