🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > News > Reminder: our Discord community is up and running!

Simon Carless (1834) on 8/26/2017 9:42 PM · Permalink · Report

Just a reminder that we have a fairly active Discord community for MobyGames with a number of contributors stopping in and chatting. If you're a regular contributor - or are just thinking about starting - then we recommend you come and check it out!

Plok (214157) on 8/27/2017 11:01 AM · Permalink · Report

We don't bite. Much.

Lightkey (4) on 9/29/2017 7:18 AM · Permalink · Report

Just a reminder that comments in the forum are still not shown with HTTPS Everywhere enabled, the one thing that's personal on this website.. Also, what's wrong with IRC?

Lain Crowley (6629) on 9/29/2017 7:34 AM · Permalink · Report

Just because Moby keeps record of old games doesn't mean its technology should be stuck in the 80s.

Lightkey (4) on 9/29/2017 9:06 AM · Permalink · Report

Well, since that doesn't answer what's wrong with IRC, I will just correct you that while Netscape introduced HTTPS in 1994, it was only RFC'd in 2000. So MobyGames is not even two decades behind, stop badmouthing them!

vileyn0id_8088 (21040) on 9/30/2017 9:05 AM · Permalink · Report

"Stuck in the <decade>" is what people typically tend to use when they cannot articulate even to themselves why the latest and shiniest should be the default. Especially when the existing technology has less overheads and dependencies, is easily maintainable and flexible, is still being actively developed and adapted to every new device imaginable, and doesn't depend on a single centralized service (with all the questionable ethics that this entails - enough examples as of late). And most importantly, it does the job just fine.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 10/1/2017 2:11 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

IRC doesn't keep a record of conversations while you were absent, doesn't have sub-channels, and a server admin might decide to ban you from the server because your name has the letters "bot" in it and they thought you were a bot.

At such a time as Discord becomes inferior to IRC then IRC will still be there to fall back on, but until that time it is the best chatroom-style communication option available.

Lightkey (4) on 10/1/2017 11:28 AM · Permalink · Report

Keeping records of conversations is actually a reason against Discord, as Vilayn0id_8088 pointed out, something you wanted to keep private might not stay private in the future when it's all centralised, while of course you can keep records for IRC (the flexible part) if you want to. Even if you don't have a bouncer for yourself (or know someone who can provide it for free, like me), plenty of channels have bots set up to log the conversations on a website, which is why I'm a little confused that you brought up bans of bots.. of course bots are allowed, I don't know any network where they are not, unless you mean spam bots which obviously never have "bot" in their name. Many free software projects just add "-dev" to the channel name for a sub-channel only for developers, you can open any sub-channel starting with the channel name that way yourself, what are you on about?

Cavalary (11445) on 9/29/2017 11:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Thing is that while HTTPS works with Moby, stuff is included with absolute instead of relative path, and all of it on HTTP, hence a problem.

As for IRC, seems to be a largely '90s thing anywhere but in Finland from what I know?

Lightkey (4) on 9/30/2017 10:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Most of the ~50 IRC channels I'm in are for free software game projects like ScummVM or the emulator Dolphin, almost every one of them have a channel on the freenode network, which has been steadily growing in users despite the general decline of IRC. But also all the websites I helped write for have an IRC channel, LinuxGames (R.I.P.), The Linux Game Tome (R.I.P.), holarse.de, Wikipedia.. just not MobyGames.