🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Game Browser Genre Search

Indra was here (20755) on 11/9/2010 3:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Sheeid. Nine years in this place and I'm still having problems finding a game I want. Am I doing something wrong, or is it practically impossible to search games based on genres?

Simulation-->Flight-->Hey, where's sci-fi? Dang it. My kingdom for clickable boxes!

[edit]

Can't:

• Search multiple sub-genres
  • Additional search year-to-year range (e.g. 2005-2010)
  • Get rid of those dang compilations from the search results
  • Combine search results with game groups
  • %!#%!$%!@$

Alaka (106111) on 11/9/2010 4:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, the game browser is in definite need of an overhaul.

Cantillon (77149) on 11/9/2010 5:06 PM · Permalink · Report

I think after Brian finishes the revisable genre system, this should be the next improvement.

vedder (70822) on 11/9/2010 5:37 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

My kingdom for SQL access to the database :]

But maybe that's too much to ask. Perhaps for approvers only? :]

Rola (8483) on 11/9/2010 6:07 PM · Permalink · Report

My exact thoughts. The database already offers very interesting "taxonomy" of games, so why not use it to full extent via a better search solution.

Indra was here (20755) on 11/13/2010 2:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

So I asked an Indonesian fellow gamer (actually I practically forced him) to try out MobyGames, you know as being the #1 database and all that. After getting him to try it out, he said he wanted to find some Japanese RPGs, of which several minutes later I asked his opinion about the website.

His answer:

"Not user friendly. Couldn't figure out how to find what I wanted to look for."

[edit]

Later tried to help him out using the game browser, to see if I could dissuade him from his current opinion:

Game Browser --> RPG --> Windows --> Turn-Based ... then for some reason the "view complete list" no longer showed up on the right column, with no additional information of the year it was released...207 games.

My answer:

"Not user friendly. Couldn't figure out how to find what I wanted to look for."

Corn Popper (69027) on 11/13/2010 3:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Confused... this is what I get going that far down...

The list below includes all 207 games within the currently selected categories.

Indra was here (20755) on 11/13/2010 4:22 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Here you go, Rob:

Game Browser Search Example

RPG --> Windows (equivalent or less combinations)
There is a link at the upper right corner entitled "view complete list" which will result in this. This result is a bit useful since it's the only way we can browse games via all year information available.

Now if you put:

RPG --> Windows --> Turn-Based
That same link is no where to be found. You have the entire 207 games, but no way to see the all the years they were released, like the former "view complete list" link. You will have to manually add another year-based selection.

Another problem on this page is that you cannot further the search with additional sub-genres. So no RPG --> Windows --> Turn-Based --> Fantasy. Can't click on the fantasy part, there's no option.

Something easier and more efficient would be a whole lot better. Here's an example for the advanced search from the MudConnector: click on all relevant categories all in one page.

Corn Popper (69027) on 11/13/2010 4:31 PM · Permalink · Report

ah, yeah you can only drill down so much for now

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 11/13/2010 4:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, the browser pages suck for many reasons, this just being one of them. It's clumsy, it has a weird layout (sub-genres first, main genres below), it shows the idiotic "game should have at least 1 vote..." thing, and it doesn't show the genre description.

This is the first thing we should fix on this website, this is really embarrassing. I don't understand what's taking so long. Around August Brian was all active with changes every week and all; now it's back to the way it was before.

Corn Popper (69027) on 11/13/2010 4:38 PM · Permalink · Report

he is tied up on some other stuff right now

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 11/13/2010 4:53 PM · Permalink · Report

he is tied up on some other stuff right now

So, once again we are stuck for indefinite time without the possibility to correct glaring issues?

Corn Popper (69027) on 11/13/2010 5:16 PM · Permalink · Report

right now... does not imply indefinite