🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Becoming an approver

Fred VT (25953) on 4/9/2013 4:41 PM · Permalink · Report

I've been considering becoming an approver, but am not sure if I have the requirements. Also, the form to apply for an approver position doesn't work for me...

Indra was here (20755) on 4/9/2013 10:43 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Fred VT wrote--]I've been considering becoming an approver... [/Q --end Fred VT wrote--]Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Oh, sorry. You were being serious. :p

[Insert approver jokes here]

Fred VT (25953) on 4/9/2013 11:01 PM · Permalink · Report

It's that bad being an approver? :P Or is it that I'm still too inexperienced?

Indra was here (20755) on 4/9/2013 11:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, the experience part you'll catch up along the way eventually. Besides, default human psychology dictates you'll only approve what you're sure of anyway, in the beginning.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95185) on 4/10/2013 12:32 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Fred VT wrote--]It's that bad being an approver? :P Or is it that I'm still too inexperienced? [/Q --end Fred VT wrote--] Ignore him, that's just Indra being Indra.

Looking at your points, you've got a pretty good spread of submissions, including plenty of new game entries. If you're interested in joining, your best bet is to PM Corn Popper directly and let him know what platforms and submissions types you're interested in starting out with. He'll likely either add you right away, or bring it up for further discussion on the secret approver forum. :)

Indra was here (20755) on 4/10/2013 12:55 AM · Permalink · Report

Oooh, the secret approver forum. Where the flame wars really get spicy!

Fred VT (25953) on 4/12/2013 1:49 PM · Permalink · Report

I have sent him a message, so we'll see from then...

Has nobody ever though of actively recruiting new approvers? I mean, there seem to be plenty of dedicated contributors and not enough active approvers to clear the queues. (Is it just me or Sony platforms seem to be the ones left behind, and the PC platforms get more attention?)

vedder (70802) on 4/12/2013 3:05 PM · Permalink · Report

I was actively recruited a couple years back. So it does happen.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/12/2013 3:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Aye. But there isn't exactly a waiting list for contributors waiting to be approvers, but that entirely depends on how many new and active contributors we have.

In the long run, personally I'd say anyone who has a bunch of points (e.g. 5,000 points) should by default try to apply or better yet be approached to be considered as an approver. There is still an abundance stuff from the approver's side of the curtain that normal users are not aware of, which they eventually should know about.

This is not for the sake of faster approvals (since it's a tendency that you contribute more stuff after being an approver as you now have an idea how the system works), but more so just for the sole reason of better quality contributions of normal contributors who are now approvers.

That's the double edged sword of any community based project. Those who want/do not want to contribute will\will not contribute; those who want/do not want to approve will approve/not approve. From where I'm standing, if someone wants to help, then by gum, let them (after fulfilling certain preconditions obviously).

Fred VT (25953) on 4/12/2013 3:37 PM · Permalink · Report

That's pretty much where I stand. After trying to diversify my submissions and seeing how much stuff I learned by doing so (and actually trying to integrate in the community via the forums) I believe that becoming an approver couldn't hurt the community, especially if I'm willing to go out of my comfort zone for said community...

Parf (7873) on 4/12/2013 7:47 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Fred VT wrote--]Is it just me or Sony platforms seem to be the ones left behind, and the PC platforms get more attention?[/Q --end Fred VT wrote--]

There are a few people who try to work on it, but I think the PC queues are more than tenfold in size compared to the Ps1 and Ps2 ones. I had a look today at them, and maybe when I get more energy left over I'll dive in again. I'm actually not sure how many actively look at those queues to be honest. I know Alaka and Oleg are pretty on top of it (to the best of their abilities).

Fred VT (25953) on 4/12/2013 8:16 PM · Permalink · Report

I know I have a few easy to verify PSN releases (new platforms) pending in that list ;) I've never submitted as much in such a short time, so it's weird for me to have stuff pending XD

Indra was here (20755) on 4/12/2013 8:33 PM · Permalink · Report

...and I still don't know how to contribute PlayStation screenshots here... -_-

Fred VT (25953) on 4/12/2013 8:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Isn't there some kind of Emulator to do it? or maybe plug a console into a computer screen?

Indra was here (20755) on 4/12/2013 9:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Attaining the screenshots isn't the problem. How to get them approved here is the problem. Personally, I think I'm just stupid, but I'm still holding on to the notion that I'm missing something.

Trypticon (11024) on 4/12/2013 9:21 PM · Permalink · Report

I take it you're just rambling, and not actually asking for help.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/12/2013 9:27 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

How hurtful. :(

Trypticon (11024) on 4/12/2013 9:38 PM · Permalink · Report

Oh, when I read "Playstation", I think of the first console, the "PSX". Thought you had a problem with these now as well. I can't decipher your exact problems with approval of Ps2 shots from the messages posted so far.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/12/2013 10:15 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, keep in mind that for the last decade, I've only used Print Screen as my primary method of capturing shots and only for the PC...so little experience in the screenshot department. Until I expanded my horizon and Patrick directed me to using Fraps which has since made my life considerably easier. So I decided to try my luck with screenshots for other platforms.

So the problem I encountered for the PCSX2 emulator in narrative:

1. Originally saved screenshots using Fraps, which apparently did not save it in its native resolution.
  2. Screenshot default F8 is provided by emulator.
  3. Screenshots are saved in a bmp format.
  4. Mobygames does not accept bmp formats.
  5. Hence I deduce that the bmp format must be provided in either JPG or PNG.
  6. Screenshot wizard says JPG only for 256 colors or above.
  7. I have no idea if PlayStation 2 has 256 colors or above.
  8. So using Irfanview, I re-saved the .bmp shot into JPG and PNG formats and send it to the approval queue, expecting a WIP from one of the approvers to show me which screenshot is preferable...so I can finally send in screenshots for all those PS2 games lacking shots.
  9. So for the past two weeks, the only useable input I got was to use Irfanview.
  10. And still waiting for that WIP.

Trypticon (11024) on 4/12/2013 11:17 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Less than 256 colors will usually not apply to Ps2 games, but Irfanview tells you the unique colors if you choose Image-> Information. I never had to bother to find out if PNG is acceptable for high-color shots in that resolution range - I assume it is, as the guidelines/faq seems outdated. But that's something somebody with,err, power should answer. High color JPG shots definitely get approved.

Cavalary (11445) on 4/12/2013 11:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Not that I have many screenshots submitted, but personally I generally either hope for an in-game BMP screenshot option or do the Print Screen thing, alt+tabbing to IrfanView and saving as PNG. If the in-game option is available, I then batch convert all to PNG in IrfanView. If small details, specific color shades or, most of all, text bits are relevant (JPEG compression is most notable on text), or if I really like the scene and don't want it altered in any way, I submit as such. Otherwise, I batch convert the PNGs to 90-95% JPG and look through them to compare, decide if JPG is good enough or not. Don't recall any sent back over it either way.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/13/2013 12:26 AM · Permalink · Report

Er. So preferably JPG or PNG? Or what that a stupid question? Considering I have no preference to either (I'm in quantity over quality mode right now).

If my small brain understood you correctly, JPG is preferable.

Cavalary (11445) on 4/13/2013 12:57 AM · Permalink · Report

shrug I'm no approver, much less admin, to say what's preferrable in general. I tend to go for lossless, so PNG, if the image offers an excuse for it. If it's not that important or the differences are barely noticeable, I start feeling bad about the size of a PNG and go with JPG.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/13/2013 1:07 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, I submitted 8 shots for Monster Rancher 4 and see how it'll turn out. Oh, thanks for that 'batch conversion' term for Irfanview. Did it manually before. MS Paint habits die hard. :p

jaXen (261015) on 4/13/2013 12:34 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Fred VT wrote--]It's that bad being an approver? :P Or is it that I'm still too inexperienced? [/Q --end Fred VT wrote--]

If you like being offended it's a great job.

Cavalary (11445) on 4/13/2013 12:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Oh poor lil' you. Do start to think you're enjoying it, should perhaps get a tad more creative.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/13/2013 12:59 AM · Permalink · Report

Well, at least I'm not an approver anymore, so that's at least 25% less smartass crack spamming against Europeans in the approver forums. :p