☕ Research video games with your very own MobyGames mug

Forums > MobyGames > Game Portals

Indra was here (20752) on 1/21/2014 1:41 AM · Permalink · Report

When a third party website allows games to be played via their website e.g. Kongregate, are they considered to be the publisher or the distributor?

Fred VT (25949) on 1/21/2014 1:43 AM · Permalink · Report

I'd say distributor, but I'm not a reference in the matter.

Indra was here (20752) on 1/21/2014 1:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Also, if the game can be played on the developer's own website, does the developer also become the publisher, distributor, or none?

Sciere (930912) on 1/21/2014 6:58 AM · Permalink · Report

Also publisher.

Also distributor if it is also distributed elsewhere, but that is largely redundant.

Sciere (930912) on 1/21/2014 6:58 AM · Permalink · Report

Distributor

Rola (8483) on 1/21/2014 2:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Remember how those games are made. Developer finds one of those portals to fund game development in exchange for exclusive period after the game is launched. This makes them publisher.
Things get confusing when later other portals redistribute the game.

Sciere (930912) on 1/21/2014 6:09 PM · Permalink · Report

It's a thin line, but if they fund development they are usually referred to as sponsors (Armor Games is a famous one), but that generally does not limit them to a single portal.

Indra was here (20752) on 1/21/2014 11:41 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]Remember how those games are made. Developer finds one of those portals to fund game development in exchange for exclusive period after the game is launched. This makes them publisher. [/Q --end Rola wrote--] I originally thought that it should be the publisher, but I forgot one thing. In MobyGames, Publisher actual means Publisher+Producer. We still don't distinguish the difference between:

1. Traditional publisher i.e. company that publishes (mass manufactures) a product.
  2. Traditional producer i.e. company that funds and markets the product.
  3. Traditional distributor i.e. company hired by the publisher (not the developer) to distribute the mass product.

Based on this analysis, if we were to use the traditional interpretation, the role of publisher would be redundant for downloadable games. Their role would be strictly as producers.

Sciere (930912) on 1/21/2014 11:50 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Adult Swim for instance often funds external development and also publishes/distributes the games exclusively on its own site, while in others cases (with multiple locations) I'd call those self-published by the developer, but indeed largely trivial.

Indra was here (20752) on 1/22/2014 12:02 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

You sneaky bastard. You know I lose all logic when you mention a name like Adult Swim. :p

It still would be nice to mention those trivialities, mind you. You know, being a nerd, geek, und fanboi/fangirl community.