🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Talk > Looking for an old turn-based strategy game

Alex Z (1856) on 7/24/2011 9:45 PM · Permalink · Report

The game is from the mid to late 90's for windows (but i won't be surprised if there was a mac original) with bad 2D 256 color graphics. The game itself plays like HoMM, with heroes leading your armies across the land. The view was top-down and everything was represented by small ugly sprites. Fights were viewed with one army standing in the lower half of the screen and one in the upper, with melee fighters in front by default and behind them the supporting units. The fights were also turn based, but the turn was shared by the entire army. So, one turn all your soldiers attack and the next all the enemy soldiers. I also remember trebuchets, for some reason.

What made this game different was the multitude of races and their unique hero mechanics. For instance, necromancers could take control of gallows which generated glory-hands each turn, and use the hands to cast spells. But each spell increased the madness of the hero, making him more likely to randomly disobey orders. You then had to spend even more hands to convert him to a vampire to cure his madness, and then to lich to cure it further. Demons, on the other hand, could use a similar (or the same, can't remember) resource to cast summoning spells without negative effects. The most powerful of those spells summoned a duke of hell which in battle could additionally summon hellhounds.

lilalurl (733) on 7/25/2011 6:25 AM · Permalink · Report

Only played the second opus so I don't know if it will be a correct match, but what you describe could be the first Disciples game: http://www.mobygames.com/game/disciples-sacred-lands

Alex Z (1856) on 7/25/2011 11:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for your reply, but no - even the first Disciples had much better graphics than this game. This game had more of a Civilization 2 look to it, but worse. IIRC, this game also had a human race whose best fighters were templar knights, i think.

Rola (8483) on 7/28/2011 1:05 PM · Permalink · Report

I know these all will be misses, but:

Age of Wonders is like HoMM, with heroes and turn-based battles...

Master of Magic had heroes, summoning and Civ graphics...

Surely not Dark Legions...

Those Hands of Glory are ruining all my attempts to pinpoint the title...

Donatello (466) on 7/28/2011 2:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Warlords series?

Alex Z (1856) on 7/30/2011 9:16 PM · Permalink · Report

it's kind of a Warlords 2 clone and has the same graphics and very similar gameplay, but it isn't one of Warlords games.