🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Off Topic > I'm in the Bahamas and you're not

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 11/5/2006 8:24 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hey, on Saturday I left my dreary, cloudy home on Nj for the beautiful, sunswept land of the Bahamas with 3 of my friends. My friend brought a laptop so I figure I'd drop by MobyGames.

The place we have is amazing. Its literally right on the water, we even have a private pool and beach that only we seem to use. The weather is nice and clear and the place is just paradise.

But I think the big thing of coming here is how worlds apart this and the US is. The USA seems cold. dreary, and so depressing. Everyone and everything just seems so unfriendly. But here in the Bahamas, it just seems worlds away. I feel like I've left planet Earth. The people are always friendly, and everyone seems to be so laid back. Strangers will say hi to you on the street (very rare in the US) and they are very lax. But the thing I like is how you can haggle, which you can't do in the US as well.

I really needed this vacation. I needed to escape the responsibiltiy of all the crap I have to do for school and everything else, and given how friendly everyone here is, this was the perfect place.

I'll see everyone when I get back next Saturday.

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 11/5/2006 9:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Remember to talk to locals and leave the hotel. It's always highly interesting to learn to know the people who's country you are visiting. And don't be afraid to taste anything you are offered, even if it seems odd.

nullnullnull (1463) on 11/5/2006 11:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Jesus you get around dude. Must be nice. Enjoy.

JPaterson (9502) on 11/6/2006 12:56 AM · Permalink · Report

Bahamas are nice. Last time I was there was 2002 for about two weeks. Went to Jamaica in 2004. Probably going to head to Hawaii next year. I know it's a state, but still. It's far enough removed to be a fun place. I also need to head back to Costa Rica. Been years since I've been there.

Have fun in Bahamas.

Riamus (8480) on 11/6/2006 11:11 PM · Permalink · Report

I loved Hawaii when I was there for a week a few years ago. I'm planning to go there for my honeymoon this coming summer.

Riamus (8480) on 11/6/2006 11:10 PM · Permalink · Report

Your comparison to the US would depend on where in the US you live (or have been to). New England area fits that description very well. Michigan doesn't. Many of the southern states don't, either. Alaska doesn't. I'm sure there are others. :)

As for haggling, I've never been sure if I think that's a good thing or a bad thing. If you can haggle, it means that the original price stated is much higher than it should be. If you're in a hurry and don't have time to work the price down to a good price, you will end up paying much more than you should. And if the seller is really good at haggling (they usually are), then you still usually end up paying at least equal to, if not higher than, what you should. Of course, that's from someone who wouldn't like to sit around haggling over prices, so would always end up paying way too much. :D

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 11/6/2006 11:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Yea, don't worry, I'm getting out fine. The place is very interesting, and it seems very exotic compared to what I have back in NJ. And I assure you, I will always like to eat something weord that's presented to me, even if it has eyes still in it. :-)

About the haggling, it all depends on if you like a secure price, or a chance to get it lowered. I always like trying to lower prices, even if it runs the risk of raising the true price. I think its adventurous, especially since you would never be able to do it in the state in a million years.

You also have to understand that even if you dont haggle, the vendors will overcharge you anyway, so theres really not much to lose.

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 11/7/2006 7:56 AM · Permalink · Report

There is also a moral side to haggling, especially in a poor country: you haggle the price down a few dollars. For you that's small change, for the seller (who is desperate to sell because that's where he gets his livelihood - remember, no social security) it's big money. I wouldn't feel very proud of myself for saving a few bucks.

Ridiculously high prices are a different matter. In some countries they do use that tactic. But I'd check first to see if that's the case in the country you are visiting.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 11/11/2006 9:02 PM · Permalink · Report

$5.50 for a carton of milk. Overpriced much?

Indra was here (20755) on 11/15/2006 9:49 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]$5.50 for a carton of milk. Overpriced much? [/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--]

Probably. I can't imagine a cow in the Bahama's. Especially if its wearing a bathing suit and getting a tan.