A group for games prominently featuring zombies. Although it is unclear where in mythology zombies have originated from, they have been identified to originate from sources as early as Norse mythology to even earlier Sumerian mythology (though distinction between the undead in general is unclear). The zombie
definition and its variations are more commonly known to be of African or Haitian voodoo-related origins (e.g. Haitian snake god Zombi). Interpretations of popular culture from classic role-playing games, cult novels, movies, with influences from mentioned mythologies, have later formed a consensus on the characteristics of the zombie. Zombies, based on the aforementioned interpretations may traditionally have one or more of the following traits:
- Undead beings, usually summoned forth by necromancers or by other means of dark magic.
- Nocturnal creatures, rarely active during the day-time or where sun-light is present.
- Usually inhabits graveyards, catacombs or ritually unclean (unholy) sites, feeding on other dead corpses (and living creatures foolish enough to venture near).
- Usually slow-moving, mindless, suffers various stages of decomposition and a serious lack of personal hygiene.
- Wears shredded or torn clothing, almost similar to the fashion sense of the 1980s and heavy metal bands :p.
In video gaming, zombies were brought to the spotlight by games such as Resident Evil
and House of the Dead
. Later interpretations, no longer limit zombies to humanoid creatures or products of dark magics. Apparently, zombies now can run without losing their legs in the process and may be created from laboratory-engineered viruses or other sci-fi elements.Limitations
Related Game Groups
- Although arguably similar one way or the other, mummies, liches, vampires, wraiths, and person(s) inhabiting retirement homes, should be excluded from this game group. Please limit zombies to the common or popular understanding of zombies as aforementioned and tell grandpa he doesn't belong here (yet).
|Organ Trail: Director's Cut||2013||Linux, Macintosh, Windows||The Men Who Wear Many Hats LLC||3.95|
|Zombie Driver HD||2012||Android, PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||EXOR Studios||3.97|
|Choice of Zombies||2012||Android, Browser, iPad, iPhone||Choice of Games, Inc||3.00|
|The Walking Dead||2012||Macintosh, PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Telltale, Inc.||4.27|
|Afternoon of the Dead||2012||Android, iPad, iPhone||Interactive Blasphemy LLC||...|
|The Walking Dead: Assault||2012||iPad, iPhone||Skybound LLC||4.00|
|The Walking Dead: Episode 5 - No Time Left||2012||iPad, iPhone, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360||Telltale, Inc.||4.23|
|The Walking Dead: Episode 2 - Starved for Help||2012||iPad, iPhone, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360||Telltale, Inc.||4.20|
|Gears & Guts||2012||Android, iPad, iPhone||Glu Mobile, Inc.||...|
|Zombro||2012||Android, iPad, iPhone||Making Fun, Inc.||...|
|The Walking Dead: Episode 1 - A New Day||2012||iPad, iPhone, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360||Telltale, Inc.||4.17|
|ZombiU||2012||Wii U||Ubisoft, Inc.||4.00|
|The Walking Dead: Episode 4 - Around Every Corner||2012||iPad, iPhone, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360||Telltale, Inc.||4.12|
|Organ Trail: Director's Cut||2012||Android, iPad, iPhone||The Men Who Wear Many Hats LLC||...|
|Blood of the Zombies||2012||Android, iPad, iPhone||Tin Man Games||4.00|
|The Walking Dead: Episode 3 - Long Road Ahead||2012||iPad, iPhone, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360||Telltale, Inc.||4.05|
|Brawl Busters||2012||Windows||Rock Hippo Productions Ltd.||3.00|
|Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City||2012||PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Capcom Entertainment, Inc.||3.29|
|Organ Trail||2011||Browser||The Men Who Wear Many Hats LLC||3.50|
|All Zombies Must Die!||2011||PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Kuju Entertainment Ltd.||2.67|
|Dead Rising 2: Off the Record||2011||PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Capcom Entertainment, Inc.||4.00|
|Dead Meets Lead||2011||Windows||Keldyn Interactive||...|
|Dead Block||2011||PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Digital Reality Publishing Kft.||...|
|Evil Dead||2011||iPad, iPhone||Trigger Apps LLC||...|
|Magicka: Marshlands||2011||Windows||Paradox Interactive AB||...|