Less than 60 games needed to complete our goal of 1,500 documented Arcade titles!

Starflight (DOS)

Written by  :  Brian Rubin (20)
Written on  :  Aug 18, 1999
read more reviews by Brian Rubin

Summary

Inspirational and Awesome.

The Good

This game helped begin a long love for computer gaming, and why not? It had everything that makes a great game great, from the wonderful storytelling, the great aliens, the rpg-type elements and customization, and exploration, all helped to make this the classic it is.

This game had a whole universe on two, LOW density 5 1/4' floppies, and that universe was yours to explore. This is one game where you never felt pushed or pressured to go somewhere, as you could basically do what you wanted, and eventually you'd catch up with the main plot at some point.

This game kept me up for days straight, and it's a game I still play this very day. It, and its sequel, are my favorite computer games of all time, and will remain to be so until something comes along to replace it, which is highly unlikely.

The Bad

Nothing worth mentioning.

The Bottom Line

This is an exploratory sci-fi rpg with great storytelling and humor. You begin by creating your own custom crew and ship, then taking your crew out into the universe, where wonderful delights and terrible dangers awaited you. It's a game that takes a lot of time and patience, but one that will reward you with some of the best fiction to grace a computer...ever. If you can find a copy of this game anywhere, which would be difficult, don't hesitate to pick it up immediately.