Metroid: Zero Mission (Game Boy Advance)

Written by  :  Michael Raymer (140)
Written on  :  Feb 20, 2004

read more reviews by Michael Raymer

Summary

It's every bit as good as Fusion... perhaps better!

The Good

Having just completed Zero Mission, I can safely assure you that it is worth every penny. That's all you really need to know. While it is a remake of the first game, and feels a lot like the first game, it somehow at the same time feels like an entirely new chapter in the Metroid saga. For example, at one point Samus loses her suit and must rely on stealth tactics to retrieve it. This was a refreshing twist on Metroid gameplay. The graphics, sound effects, and musical score (which borrows much from the NES version) are all top notch. And, upon beating the game you unlock a Hard difficulty, and the original NES game!

The Bad

I have only one complaint, and it is the length. At roughly 4-5 hours to complete at Normal difficulty, it leaves you starving for more Metroid. Granted, the inclusion of the original game as an unlockable, and the Hard difficulty, certainly give the game some replay value, but the content itself is what I crave more than anything.

The Bottom Line

I would say to anyone with a GBA: buy this game now, without hesitation. If you don't absolutely love it, there's probably something wrong with you.