User Reviews

There are no reviews for this game.

Our Users Say

Platform Votes Score
FM-7 Awaiting 5 votes...
MSX Awaiting 5 votes...
NES 18 1.9
PC-6001 Awaiting 5 votes...
PC-88 Awaiting 5 votes...
Sharp MZ-80B/2000/2500 Awaiting 5 votes...
Sharp X1 Awaiting 5 votes...
Combined User Score 18 1.9

Critic Reviews

MobyRanks are listed below. You can read here for more information about MobyRank.
Hydlide is a good game with graphics that are average and music that is not too terribly annoying. 90% of the game is comprised of building up energy to play the other 10%. A good alternative to Ultima, Zelda, and other quest-oriented RPG games.
NESNES Archives (Sep 17, 2007)
Trust me it is a decent game, but it isn’t great. If you are in the mood for a unique battle engine with a lot of grinding, give it a try.
NESGame Freaks 365 (2006)
Like I said, the overworld is small, so it stands to reason that the game isn't particularly long, which is true. You also have the option to save your progress at any time. By the time you have beaten this game, however, you will likely wish you had spent the time playing something else, although it might entertain you for an hour or two if you are into this kind of game.
In the long run, Hydlide is a game you don't want to play. If you want a game that looks like Zelda, and plays like Zelda, you might be better off with Zelda.
If you do decide to play the game, turn down the limited sound effects and repetitious, high-pitched, unimaginative music.
0 (Apr, 2012)
I’ll take the outdated, but still playable Dragon Warrior and Zelda over this misguided, well-meaning piece of dump. Even if Hydlide contained an interesting plot with memorable characters and unique locales, I still wouldn’t want to sludge through its worthless combat system in order to experience it.