🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Bionic Commando > First Capcom Nintendo game swears.

Ben R. on 7/26/2014 5:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Dear Mobygame users

As you know I've played Nes and Snes games and I've watched a youtube video of Bionic Commando Nes and I was shocked and surprised to find the final boss Hitler who's nickname is called Master-D said the British swear word "damn" at the player.

How did that bible swear word get past the Nintendo censorship in a Capcom game? Even though all Nazi symbols have been replaced there's still a few swear words and Master-D head explodes. I have heard of Shakespeare swear words in movies, TV shows, music and books, It's just like the first time Clark Gable said "damn" in 1939 MGM color movie "Gone with the Wind."

Later on Capcom games would use the word "damn" in the Snes games "Mega Man 7, Mega Man X3, and Breath of Fire 2"

Although I am a religious man, this was a surprise to me considering that bible swear words was forbidden in the 1980s and 1990s Nintendo era. Also in another Nes game "Rambo" one of the soldiers used the word hell and "Castlevania 2" Nes used the word hell house.

Can anybody explain to me how that got past the Nintendo censorship? I don't know how the English translators of Capcom would slip in a few British swear words in an Nes game.

Now in todays violent Nintendo 64, gamecube, wii games swearing is common in video games which I don't like. Please let me know how the Capcom English translator slipped in a few swear words.

Sciere (930490) on 7/26/2014 5:34 PM · Permalink · Report

On a sidenote, Nintendo enforces some of its original policies even today. Its religion themes where the main reason The Binding of Isaac couldn't get on 3DS.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 7/26/2014 6:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

In order for damn to become a valid swear word it needs an object such as in the expression "damn you". The word itself has its origin in latin and is not necessarily biblical.

Parf (7873) on 7/28/2014 12:43 PM · Permalink · Report

That reminds me. It seems Nintendo used different censorship standards in Europe and the US. The game Devil World was released in both Japan and Europe, but not in the US (for religious reasons I assume). But then Contra hits the NES, and is kept intact in the US while being reskinned as a robot game in Europe because shooting dudes is more violent than robots.

I guess in essence:

Religion/Sex = more taboo in the US Violence = more taboo in Europe