Phantasy Star (SEGA Master System)

Written by  :  MasterMegid (897)
Written on  :  Feb 29, 2004
Platform  :  SEGA Master System

read more reviews by MasterMegid

Summary

The Game the started it all.

The Good

Phantasy Star, was the first Japanese rpg to be released in America. In Phantasy Star, Alis Landale's brother is murdered by the diabolical King Lassic. Thus begins her quest for vengeance. As well as the start of one of the best rpg series' ever! Along the way three others will join Alis on her journey. Myau, the musk cat, Odin the warrior, and Noah the wizard. Spanning all three planets of the Algol solar system. Battles play out in a first person perspective, with animated monsters and colorful back rounds, unlike earlier Final Fantasies and Dragon Warriors. The graphics are among the best of games of the time. The story was fresh and original for it's time as well. When you hear of an rpg cliche it likely originated from Phantasy Star. I.e. "Cute" mascots. And anime style characters, among many others. The music is good, and catchy. I find myself humming the tunes often. Phantasy Star is one of the best examples of an rpg ever! Past and Present.

The Bad

The sound chip on the Master System was weak, so some sound glitches abound. Those not used to "old school" rpgs will likely find this a difficult game.

The Bottom Line

Phantasy Star is one of the finest rpgs ever created. With three sequels and several spin offs it also has built quite a legacy.