DescriptionKate Walker is a lawyer who has been entrusted by the Universal Toy Company to negotiate the takeover of an old luxury toy and automaton factory. Over the centuries, the factory has been developing clockwork devices, specializing in perpetual mechanical movement. The factory's ambitions, however, are ill-suited to the contemporary economic climate, and the elderly Anna Voralberg, at the helm of the Valadilene factory for more than half a century, has decided to sell up.
It turns out that the takeover might not be as straightforward as expected. The day that Kate Walker arrives, Anna Voralberg is being buried. What is more is that she has left an heir – her brother Hans. But Hans had left the valley at the end of the thirties and never returned, and was actually believed to be dead. However, a letter written by Anna in the days leading up to her death reveals that Hans is well and truly alive and living somewhere in Siberia. Valadilene's elderly notary entrusted to take care of Anna's affairs suggests that Kate find Hans Voralberg as he is now the only person in a position to ratify the sale of the family business.
Syberia is a traditional puzzle-solving adventure. The player navigates a 3D model of the protagonist over pre-rendered backgrounds with fixed camera angles. Puzzles are mostly inventory-based, though some involve manipulating the environment (such as mechanical devices). The interface features a single cursor; only highlighted objects can be interacted with, and there are no verb choice commands.
- "赛伯利亚" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "西伯利亞" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "Сибирь" -- Russian spelling
- "Sibir" -- Russian title
- "L'avventura di Kate Walker: Syberia Volume 1" -- Italian DVG title
Part of the Following Groups
|Symptoms of decay||Windows||Unicorn Lynx (174027)|
|Beautiful. And lousy.||Windows||plumifrons (95)|
|A wonder, a marvel, and yet I do not quite understand why||Windows||Jacques Guy (55)|
|A very, very long movie. Or, an extremely short game.||Windows||Dave Schenet (130)|
|A beautiful, well-written but ultimately flawed game.||Windows||Tomer Gabel (4349)|
|Another otherwise creative game flawed by ridiculous and unlikely "adventuring".||Windows||kbmb (399)|
|Well, that's it! I just have to say..||Windows||Afex Tween (164)|
|Awesome storyline... the adventure genre isn't dead yet!||Windows||Gothicgene (83)|
|Realism and emotion - an uncommon combination||Windows||Jeanne (75375)|
|Good, yet short adventure||Windows||tomimt (337)|
|Retrogaming.it||Windows||Mar 06, 2008||9 out of 10||90|
|GamersHell.com||Windows||Aug 09, 2002||9 out of 10||90|
|GameSpy||Windows||Sep 17, 2002||90|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Windows||May 28, 2002||17 out of 20||85|
|CanadianGamer||Windows||Oct 24, 2002||85 out of 100||85|
|PC Gamer||Windows||Sep, 2002||80 out of 100||80|
|Worth Playing||Xbox||Jul 29, 2003||8 out of 10||80|
|IGN||Xbox||Aug 06, 2003||6.1 out of 10||61|
|IGN||Nintendo DS||Dec 22, 2008||4.4 out of 10||44|
|PC Zone||Windows||Sep 15, 2002||4.2 out of 10||42|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Who Was the Model for Kate Walker?||4||St. Martyne (3539)
Dec 01, 2007
LanguageThe words written on the control panel of the airship in Kolmkozgrad are authentic Russian. However, the name of the hotel in Aralbad is written incorrectly.
MarketingSome German games magazine editors received a postcard from New York with a handwritten text from someone called Kate who wrote in German, that she had an Austrian uncle, some problems and so on. There was no clue that this was a PR-event for the game Syberia, even the fake-handwriting was done with some smeared ink.
PlayStation 2 versionContrary to the Xbox release, the PS2 version did not appear in North America, as SCEA did not approve the game there.
- The rat from Road to India makes a cameo appearance in Syberia. It appears in the basement in Kolmkozgrad, makes exactly the same movements it did in Road to India, and disappears.
- Syberia contains some references to another game by Microids, Amerzone . In Barockstadt you can read and hear a lot about different species of Amerzone's flora and fauna.
- Computer Games Magazine
- March 2003 (Issue #148) - #10 overall in the "10 Best Games of 2002" list
- Computer Gaming World
- April 2003 (Issue #225) – Adventure Game of the Year
- 2002 - PC Adventure Game of the Year
- 2002 - Best Artistic Graphics
- 2002 - PC Adventure Game of the Year
- 2002 - Best Adventure Game (Readers' Choice)
Related Web Sites
- Another good walkthrough (MaGtRo's Walkthrough for Syberia)
- Microids' Official Walkthrough (in English) (Original walkthrough published by the developer)
- Microids' Official Walkthrough (in French) (Original walkthrough by Microids in French)
- Solution in Hint Form (If you'd rather get subtle hints to help you along, this file will get you to the solutions at your own pace.)
- Syberia (Official Site - Adventure Company)
- Walkthrough (If you get stuck in game, use this site to help you out of trouble and continue playing.)
- Walkthrough by Witchen (Witchen's Syberia solutions)
- Wikipedia: Syberia (Article in the open encyclopedia about the game.)
- Zarf's Mini-Review (A mini-review of Syberia by Andrew Plotkin (March, 2004).)