Moby Poll: What kind of game collector are you?

Slingo Quest (Windows)

Written by  :  Pagen HD (85)
Written on  :  Dec 27, 2012

read more reviews by Pagen HD

Summary

Fast, addictive action; Good replay values

The Good

The best strategy/puzzle games require you to think, but make you feel like you're relaxed and not really thinking much. Every right decision you make is quickly rewarded with some kind of eye candy, and ultimately the joy of getting a good score.

Speaking of scores, there is no "endless mode" here, such as the puzzle mode in Plants vs. Zombies. I hate endless modes because the player never feels like they've completed the game. In Slingo Quest, it is possible to complete every objective in every level, unlock every achievement (except one), all within a reasonable amount of time.

It took me three months to do that. There was never a thought of "this level is hard, I'm stuck" or "I feel worn out playing this". I found myself replaying a level or two (for 100% completion) whenever I had a few minutes of free time. Almost every time I played, I got a little bit closer to that 100%. I don't know if this is just me being a good player, or the game being designed that way. Either way it feels very rewarding to replay the levels.

The Bad

One particular achievement requires an insane degree of luck and/or patience. You can try and try for 10's of hours and you may finally get it, but I eventually gave up. It involves something like a "Five of a Kind" in poker.

The Bottom Line

It's easy to predict whether you'll like Slingo Quest. Try the free online Slingo at the slingo.com website. If you enjoy the core gameplay and isn't bored after five minutes, Slingo Quest is for you. Like Sword & Poker 2 and Fairway Solitaire, it takes a simple, immediately understandable, number-based gameplay, and elevates it to an immersive, full gaming experience.