A GameCube version was already planned, but was cancelled because previous Midway
titles sold poorly on the platform.
The creatures and characters in The Suffering
were designed by movie special effects master Stan Winston
(designer of the Terminator exoskeleton, the Predator, the Alien Queen and the Jurassic Park dinos). The prison of Abbott State Penitentiary in the game was partially inspired by Alcatraz; Alcatraz was originally a military prison and the prison in the game was built from the remains of a WW2 army base.
There are a number of changes in the German version:
- The making of feature and a trailer were removed.
- There are no mutilated humans to be found.
- Several cutscenes were cut. In some just the blood was removed, a few scenes are completely darkened out.
- In the PlayStation 2 version, an instrument of torture was removed from a dead guard.
- All swastikas were removed (this applies to every version except US)
A detailed list of changes can be found on schnittberichte.com
The PC version was released as freeware on September 25, 2008.
Information also contributed by