OverviewFounded in Manchester, England, Ocean was a hugely successful label up to the mid-90s, operating mainly on home computer systems. Ocean is responsible for a huge amount of arcade conversions, ports from other platforms and also original PC games. They released many film licensed games, most of which were either several-different-sections-each-loosely-resembling-a-part-of-the-film or walk-left-to-right-shoot-repeat type. Although widely ridiculed, these titles did extremely well, and helped fund their arcade conversion licenses and original products. However, once the St and Amiga scene faded, Ocean struggled to establish themselves on the newer systems, and were ultimately bought out by Infogrames.
The last game published by the company was GT 64: Championship Edition for the Nintendo 64 in April 1998.
Also Known As
- Infogrames UK Ltd. (from 1999 to May 06, 2003)
- Ocean Software Ltd. (from 1983 to 1998)
- Spectrum Games (from 1982 to 1983)
TriviaCompany location (1983)
Related Web Sites
- Ocean Software @ Wikipedia (The company profile at Wikipedia)
- The Ocean Experience (Site on Ocean history, with pictures, videos, articles and more.)