OverviewValve Corporation is an entertainment software company founded in 1996 by Gabe Newell and Mike Harrington in Kirkland, Washington. They were both previously with Microsoft. Valve's debut product, Half-Life, released in November 1998, has won more than 50 Game of the Year honors worldwide.
In September 2003 the company launched the digital distribution platform Steam, which has become the market leader in the online distribution of PC titles. All the company's titles run on the in-house developed Source engine, introduced in 2004.
In November 2012 the company acquired Star Filled Studios.
Also Known As
- Valve L.L.C. (from 1996 to 2003)
TriviaAddress in 2003:
520 Kirkland Way, Ste 201
Kirkland, WA 98033
P. O. Box 1688
Bellevue WA 98009
Related Web Sites
- Valve Corporation (official website)
- NZMac Review: Steam (A (largely) unscored review of the Macintosh version of Steam by NZMac, a New Zealand Apple site (May 17, 2010).)
- Steam Community (Valve's fledgling social network built around the Steam and its Friends & Groups functionality. Also includes Steam and game statistics.)
- Valve Developer Community (A wiki for people developing games or mods using Valve's Source engine.)
- Welcome to Steam (Official Steam website, Valve's online content delivery system)
- Wikipedia: Valve Corporation (article in the open encyclopedia about the company)
Most popular games as rated by MobyGames users.