Epic Games, Inc.
Also Known As +
- Epic MegaGames, Inc. (from 1991 to 1999)
- Potomac Computer Systems (from 1991 to 1991)
Overview edit · view history
Epic Games is a company started as Potomac Computer Systems in 1991 by Tim Sweeney in Rockville, Maryland (US). The same year the name was changed to Epic MegaGames, Inc. and the company became a world leader in developing and publishing shareware games. Epic's best-known creations include Epic Pinball, Jazz Jackrabbit, One Must Fall 2097 and Jill of the Jungle.
The biggest change for the company came in 1998 when the first-person shooter Unreal was released. It was the start of the Unreal series of shooters that ran until 2017. At the same time, the company started licensing the engine powering the games, various iterations of the Unreal Engine, used in a large range of titles. It put the company on the map next to id Software, Inc. as one of the most prominent engine development studios. In 1999, the studio received its current name, Epic Games, Inc.
- Safari Software (1997)
- ChAIREntertainment Group (2008)
- Titan Studios (2008, formerly Darkstar Industries)
- People Can Fly (2012)
- Pitbull Studio (2014)
- 3Lateral (2019)
- Kamu (2018)
- Psyonix (2019)
- Cubic Motion (2020)
- Hypersense (2020)
- RAD Game Tools (2021)
- Sketchfab (2021)
- ArtStation (2021)
- Harmonix Music Systems (2021)
- Mediatonic (2021)
In September 2006 the establishment of Epic Games China, Ltd. was announced. Based in Shanghai, it was set up to provide low-cost game asset outsourcing to both Epic and third parties. The studio currently goes by the name Yingpei Games.
In June 2012 the China-based Tencent Holdings Limited announced to have acquired a minority stake of 10% in the company. In September 2012 the establishment of a new Epic studio in Seattle was announced to work on the fourth version of the Unreal Engine.
Also in June 2012 the studio formed Epic Baltimore, later renamed Impossible Studios. The division was closed in February 2013.
Credited on 3,246 Games from 1991 to 2023
Displaying most recent · View all
|FC 24 (2023 on Windows, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4...)|
|Diluvian Ultra: Chapter One (2023 on Windows)|
|Fights in Tight Spaces: Weapon of Choice (2023 on Windows)|
|My Hero Ultra Rumble (2023 on Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One...)|
|SCP-479: Shadows of the Mind (2023 on Windows)|
|Payday 3 (2023 on Windows, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series...)|
|Warhaven (2023 on Windows)|
|Witchfire (2023 on Windows)|
|Mortal Kombat 1 (2023 on Windows, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5...)|
|Lies of P (2023 on Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5...)|
|Boti: Byteland Overclocked (2023 on Windows)|
|Idol vs Furries (2023 on Windows)|
|Ad Infinitum (2023 on Windows, Xbox Series, PlayStation 5)|
|Sugar Shack (2023 on Windows)|
|The Crew: Motorfest (2023 on Windows, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series...)|
|Starfield (2023 on Windows, Windows Apps, Xbox Series...)|
|Daymare: 1994 - Sandcastle (2023 on PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series...)|
|Under The Waves (2023 on Windows, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series...)|
|Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (2023 on Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One...)|
|Sprawl (2023 on Windows)|
[ view all ]
- May 12th, 2005
The company purchases the Reality Engine from competitor Artificial Studios and hires the lead programmer Tim Johnson. Epic does not intend to continue sales, development, or support, but will review its technologies for inclusion into Unreal Engine 3 and offers licensees upgrades to Unreal Engine 3 at discounted prices.
- March 18th, 2004
The company acquires Safari Software.
Company founded by Tim Sweeney in Rockville, Maryland.
[ view all ]
Company location and contact information (2008):
Epic Games Inc.
620 Crossroads Blvd.
Cary, North Carolina 27518
Company email: [email protected]
Related Web Sites +
- 2,230 games with Valve Corporation
- 731 games with NVIDIA Corporation
- 258 games with Audiokinetic Inc.
- 217 games with Firelight Technologies Pty. Ltd.
- 165 games with Unity Technologies ApS
- 149 games with Epic Games Tools LLC
- 139 games with GOG Poland Sp. z o.o.
- 74 games with Denuvo Software Solutions GmbH
- 70 games with Interactive Data Visualization, Inc.
- 67 games with Google LLC
- All games by Epic Games, Inc.
- Published by Epic Games, Inc.
- Developed by Epic Games, Inc.
- Produced by Epic Games, Inc.
- Additional Development by Epic Games, Inc.
- Additional Programming by Epic Games, Inc.
- Distributed by Epic Games, Inc.
- Graphics by Epic Games, Inc.
- Additional Graphics by Epic Games, Inc.
- Voice Production by Epic Games, Inc.
- Game Engine by Epic Games, Inc.
- Graphic Engine by Epic Games, Inc.
- Sound Engine by Epic Games, Inc.
- Middleware by Epic Games, Inc.