Jane Jensen (born Jane Elizabeth Smith, January 28th, 1963 in Palmerton, Pennsylvania) is a North American game designer and author. She is best known for her work on the Gabriel Knight
Jensen's technical background began with a degree in Computer Science from Anderson University in Indiana. Later, she became an engineer for Hewlett-Packard, and was employed there for six years. Her career in interactive entertainment began at Sierra On-Line, Inc.
She worked as a writer on Police Quest III
and EcoQuest: The Search for Cetus
in the same year. In 1992, she co-designed King's Quest VI
with Roberta Williams
Jensen's first major project was Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
(1993), followed by two sequels, all of which she designed and wrote. Jensen notably studied various aspects of occult sciences and mythology in order to add credibility and detail to the storylines of these games. She traveled to Germany in order to research local folklore, which was later incorporated into The Beast Within
(1995). She acknowledges Stephen King
and Anne Rice
as her primary influences in writing.
In August 2006, at the Leipzig Game Convention, Jane Jensen announced her new game, Gray Matter
, one in a planned series of games. Four years in the making, the game was eventually released in November 2010.
Jensen also wrote two novel adaptations of Gabriel Knight and two independent novels, Judgment Day
(1999) and Dante's Equation
Jane Jensen currently owns a farm in Pennsylvania, where she lives with her husband Robert Holmes
, who composed the music for Gabriel Knight games. On April 5, 2012 the couple announced the establishment of the development studio Pinkerton Road
- Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller - Episode 1: The Hangman (2012), Reverb Publishing
- Gray Matter (2010), dtp entertainment AG
- Agatha Christie: Dead Man's Folly (2009), I-Play
- Women's Murder Club: Twice in a Blue Moon (2009), I-Play
- Dr. Lynch: Grave Secrets (2008), I-Play
- Women's Murder Club: Death in Scarlet (2008), I-Play
- Agatha Christie: Death on the Nile (2007), Oberon Games, Inc.
- Agatha Christie: Peril at End House (2007), I-Play
- Women's Murder Club: A Darker Shade Of Grey (2007), Elephant Entertainment, LLC, Oberon Media, Inc.
- Galapago (2006), Oberon Games, Inc.
- King's Quest Collection (2006), Sierra Entertainment, Inc.
- Scrubbles (2006), Oberon Media, Inc.
- Saints & Sinners Bingo (2005), Oberon Media, Inc.
- BeTrapped! (2004), Oberon Games, Inc.
- Inspector Parker (2003), Oberon Games, Inc.
- Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned (1999), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- King's Quest: Collection Series (1997), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery (1995), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- King's Quest (Collector's Edition) (1994), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- Space Quest (Collector's Edition) (1994), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers (1993), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- Pepper's Adventures in Time (1993), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- The Dagger of Amon Ra (1992), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow (1992), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- EcoQuest: The Search for Cetus (1991), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- Police Quest 3: The Kindred (1991), Sierra On-Line, Inc.