Frédérick Raynal was born in 1966 in Brive-la-Gaillarde, Corrèze (France). His first commercial game was Robix 500
(1983). He produced the graphics for Popcorn
(1988). After joining Infogrames
, he worked on the port of Alpha Waves
(1990), which helped focus his inspiration on designing 3D games. His first major project, Alone in the Dark
(1992), was also his best known one. He worked on parts of the sequel
before leaving Infogrames.
Raynal founded Adeline Software International
in 1993 with several former Infogrames members. With this new team, Raynal produced Little Big Adventure
(1994), Time Commando
(1996), Little Big Adventure 2
(1997), Toy Commander
(1999), and other games.
On March 13, 2006, Frédérick Raynal, together with Shigeru Miyamoto
and Michel Ancel
, was knighted by the French Minister of Culture and Communication as Knight of Arts and Literature. It was the first time that this honor was bestowed upon video game developers.
Also Known As
- bOxOn (2011), Ludoïd
- Soul Bubbles (2008), Eidos Interactive Ltd.
- Toy Racer (2000), SEGA Corporation
- Toy Commander (1999), SEGA of America, Inc.
- Twinsen's Odyssey (1997), Activision (UK) Limited
- Fade to Black (1996), Electronic Arts, Inc.
- Time Commando (1996), Activision, Inc.
- Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure (1994), Electronic Arts, Inc.
- Alone in the Dark (1992), Infogrames Europe SA
- Drakkhen (1991), Epic/Sony Inc.
- SimCity (1991), Infogrames Europe SA
- Continuum (1990), Data East Corporation
- Popcorn (1988), Lacral