🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Suggestions > Move "secondary" menu back to the left

villeneuve (11) on 3/8/2014 5:07 PM · Permalink · Report

Why did the "secondary" menu (the one which says "Main", "Credits", "Screenshots", etc on a game's page) get moved to the top? It's really unpractical! Modern displays are mostly widescreen which are limited in height, but provide plenty of space in width. It's that space on the sides that is often wasted in many programs and on many websites, which is the case on MobyGames now. As it is now on MobyGames you also have to go up everytime you've read a page from top to bottom to get to the next page (ie. from "Main" to "Credits"). There isn't even a "jump to the top"-button on the bottom of the pages. So I strongly suggest to move the "secondary" menu back to the left side and make it static, so it's always visible even when the reader scrolls down the main frame.

Cavalary (11445) on 3/8/2014 7:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Because web designers just think of one thing: mobiles.

Then again, same goes for most in the IT business in recent years.

Desktops? What's that?

villeneuve (11) on 3/10/2014 10:11 AM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for your thought. I didn't think of mobiles. If that's the reason for the menu placement it's ridiculous. If MobyGames cares about mobile devices they should do an additional mobile version of the website, which is the right way to do it. Otherwise the desktop is compromised too much.

Parf (7873) on 3/11/2014 8:02 AM · Permalink · Report

As it is now the new owners are still trying to figure out the wiring and plumbing around here, given that the site was made on a somewhat obscure platform it seems. But who know, maybe given time it'll eventually happen?

Personally I'm not super bothered by it, and I use both my widescreen monitor at home, or my phone on the go.

Nélio (1976) on 3/11/2014 2:39 PM · Permalink · Report

I like it better as it is. Yes, I have a widescreen, but I prefer the content itself to take as much space as possible. I'm OK with having the interface at the top.

You've come late to this discussion, though. When that update was rolled out there was a huge thread about it. You're not the only one with that opinion, but the admins have made their mind.

vedder (70822) on 3/11/2014 3:21 PM · Permalink · Report

I like it better how it is now too. The old sidebar was a huge mess of completely unrelated links and actions that changed with every page you visited but failed to communicate how.

And you still had to scroll almost all the way back up the page to go anywhere.

Cavalary (11445) on 3/11/2014 4:04 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--] And you still had to scroll almost all the way back up the page to go anywhere. [/Q --end vedder wrote--]

Yeah, that was the problem. Hence it'd have been nice to make the actual menu sticky, since the sidebar took up the space anyway.

Rola (8483) on 3/11/2014 6:52 PM · Permalink · Report

I wonder, would it be possible to make everyone happy and code a hiding sidebar? That kind of a tab that moves into view when you move cursor to the edge of the screen? This thing becomes increasingly popular with the "add us to Facebook" crowd.

Cavalary (11445) on 3/11/2014 8:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Or when you click, preferably. I keep accidentally activating side menus on a few sites my moving my mouse around and take a moment to realize what happened to the page and how to hide it again.

Rwolf (22827) on 3/11/2014 9:34 PM · Permalink · Report

There were a few auto-hiding menus in the Gamefly version of MobyGames, but these were inaccessible on an Android, where the menu disappears again as you lift the pointer to 'click' on the items in the list. So 'everybody' would not be happy.