🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Find a game > [SOLVED] Lost Dutchman Mine

Spaghetti Cat on 3/9/2014 3:15 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The only game from my childhood which I haven't been able to find. Help is appreciated.

Year played: 1996-98

Platform: DOS

Setting: The Old West , gold rush.

Description: You are an old miner with a beard and cowboy-hat(?) and you start in a town in the Old West. You walk into a shop in which you can buy supplies (I remember a lantern, dynamite, rope, maybe a pickaxe). Then you walk right(?) to exit the town and go into a cave.

View: Side. Probably "flip-screen" rather than smooth-scrolling.

Genre/Gameplay: Action. I don't remember whether it's keyboard-controlled or point 'n click.

Graphics/Visual style: CGA (purple and pink), pixel art.

Thanks for reading.

Game Guesser (28) on 3/9/2014 4:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Lost Dutchman Mine on CGA, perhaps.

Spaghetti Cat on 3/13/2014 10:59 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

By God you found it! Great job! Thank you very much.

It's amazing how a memory from 17 years ago lay unaccessed in a vault somewhere in my brain. Then this memory awakes and my brain remembers vague notions like the cave is to the right.... memories acquired as a 6 year old.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 3/14/2014 1:12 AM · Permalink · Report

Nah, in platforms the goods are always to the right. That's why many of them actually have hidden bonus surprises if you go to the left from the starting location.

Spaghetti Cat on 3/14/2014 7:20 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

You may be right that that sub-consciously contributed to it, but I'd say that at least half of it is the "vague sense of direction" feeling; I can definitely "feel" that the cave was to the right. Even without visuals your mind will build an abstract map of the level. Like, I played The Guild of Thieves (text-adventure from magnetic scrolls) 3 years ago, and it's normal that I remember key locations in the game, but I also remember their general position on the world map... I even remember the rough layout of buildings.

Also, I played Commander Keen: Keen Dreams at around the same age as this miner game and I remember that you go left. EDIT: Although I accessed the memory of this game a bit more than the Miner game so my memory is a little stronger with this Keen game.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 3/14/2014 1:14 PM · Permalink · Report

I hear you, I can still find my way around Quest for Glory 1 pretty well without a map.