🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > News > Another Day, Another Website improvement

Shoddyan (15004) on 9/6/2006 6:13 AM · Permalink · Report

Visitors to Mobygames earlier in the day might have noticed some error messages cropping up on some of pages they were trying to visit. Don't worry, the server farm hasn't caught on fire and the code is stable! In fact, those were the results of the lastest "release" of the website that Brian has put out. You can, as always find the full details in the Changelog (it looks and feels just like a whatsnew.txt) but some of the highlights are that we are now documenting Nintendo Product Codes (every Nintendo console), improved message board searching and a bunch of bugfixes.

As mentioned, read up on the Changelog if you want more information. And you may want to visit there also if you've been a regular Mobygames user and have wondered why and what's been changing over the past couple of weeks, or months, or years (depending on how much you pay attention :D). Use this thread to discuss any bugs which may appeared.

And if you're in Austin, TX over the next few days, stop by and tell us what a good job we're doing (or anything else I suppose, but compliments are warm & fuzzy).

gamewarrior (5040) on 9/6/2006 11:55 PM · Permalink · Report

You may have already known this, but I noticed that there seems to be a bug whenever I try to contribute release dates.

Shoddyan (15004) on 9/7/2006 12:02 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start gamewarrior wrote--]You may have already known this, but I noticed that there seems to be a bug whenever I try to contribute release dates. [/Q --end gamewarrior wrote--]

Well there's nothing logged regarding release info recently. So, What kind of bug is it? What are the symptoms? What happens exactly?

Evil Ryu (66052) on 9/7/2006 12:11 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

During screenshots submissions, it's possible to upload all of them in a single .zip file, OK? But why not to extend this feature to the credits? It will be possible someday to upload all the supporting images in a single .zip file? This is my suggestion. =D

Shoddyan (15004) on 9/7/2006 2:38 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Evil Ryu wrote--]During screenshots submissions, it's possible to upload all of them in a single .zip file, OK? But why not to extend this feature to the credits? It will be possible someday to upload all the supporting images in a single .zip file? This is my suggestion. =D [/Q --end Evil Ryu wrote--]

I'm pretty sure I've heard this feature request before, but I can't find any trace of it. So I'm logging it in as a new feature request. #1401 is the tracking number for it that's only important to the staff.

Thanks Ryu, evil or not :)

Evil Ryu (66052) on 9/7/2006 2:43 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start WildKard wrote--]I'm pretty sure I've heard this feature request before, but I can't find any trace of it. So I'm logging it in as a new feature request. #1401 is the tracking number for it that's only important to the staff.

Thanks Ryu, evil or not :) [/Q --end WildKard wrote--]You're welcome, Wildkard! =D

gamewarrior (5040) on 9/7/2006 12:44 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start WildKard wrote--] Well there's nothing logged regarding release info recently. So, What kind of bug is it? What are the symptoms? What happens exactly? [/Q --end WildKard wrote--]

Well, on the main game page or the release date page, I click on Contribute under User Actions; then I get an error message saying "An error accured while processing your request, an error report has been automatically generated and send to our support staff and will be looked into shortly". I'm not sure what kind of bug it is and not sure what the symptoms are. Sorry, I can't be more helpful, but hopefully you or another approver will get more information from the error report.

Corn Popper (69027) on 9/7/2006 1:10 AM · Permalink · Report

take a screenshot and send it to [email protected]

include what OS and version, and what browser and version

Foxhack (32100) on 9/7/2006 12:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Can I make a request regarding "Most Wanted"?

I want to add screenshots for the games that don't have any... but the engine will not let me search for items I don't have on my "Owned" list. Is there a way to bypass this? I can use emulators to take the screenies, I just need to know which games need them. ;)

Brian Hirt (10409) on 9/7/2006 1:51 AM · Permalink · Report

I originally designed it to run against the entire database, but it get's rather slow cross referencing all those games and missing pieces of information. It puts a pretty big load on the system. It also seemed to make sense to restrict it to the games in your have list since you are likely to have information about those games.

I could probaly partially open it up, but i think it would have to restrict the queries to a specific platform and probably only allow you to search on one type of missing information at a time. For example show me SNES games without screenshots, instead of show me all games without screenshots or covers or reviews or this or that....

I'll see what's required to do it.

Foxhack (32100) on 9/7/2006 1:57 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Brian Hirt wrote--]I originally designed it to run against the entire database, but it get's rather slow cross referencing all those games and missing pieces of information. It puts a pretty big load on the system. It also seemed to make sense to restrict it to the games in your have list since you are likely to have information about those games.

I could probaly partially open it up, but i think it would have to restrict the queries to a specific platform and probably only allow you to search on one type of missing information at a time. For example show me SNES games without screenshots, instead of show me all games without screenshots or covers or reviews or this or that....

I'll see what's required to do it. [/Q --end Brian Hirt wrote--]

Screenshots (or lack thereof) is probably the only thing I'd use it for, anyway. I suggest limiting the screenshot search from "No screenshots" to "up to 5 screenshots". It's your call in the end. :)

Shoddyan (15004) on 9/7/2006 2:31 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dave Silva wrote--] Screenshots (or lack thereof) is probably the only thing I'd use it for, anyway. I suggest limiting the screenshot search from "No screenshots" to "up to 5 screenshots". It's your call in the end. :) [/Q --end Dave Silva wrote--]

Alternatively, Mobygames allows users to create multiple lists under the generic categories of "Have" and "Want". You can simply create a new "Have" list, give it a unique name and fill it up with games you're thinking about buying/playing in the future that you might also want to submit some content for. It should use all of the "Want" lists when it's generating the Most Wanted! pages

nullnullnull (1463) on 9/7/2006 11:01 PM · Permalink · Report

Add all to have list. : P-)

Shoddyan (15004) on 9/7/2006 11:52 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start flipkin wrote--]Add all to have list. : P-) [/Q --end flipkin wrote--]

Well that's just crazy... unless you want to generate an "everything list" on a daily or weekly basis and then keep it cached on the server for everyone to reference.

But honestly, I'm not expecting any user to go spend a lot of effort or money hunting down specific games just so that they can contribute something to Mobygames. I figure if people want to make a list of what they're planning to purchase, that should take care of the majority. I mean heck, these games are expensive! Especially to ship!

On the other hand... if you actually think an "everything wanted list" is a good idea, make a downloadable option so I can keep a copy on a PDA or cellphone or Bluetooth or DS or something portable (that I dont currently own :P)! That would be a big help when I wander into the pawn shop or second-hand store and am flipping through game titles (mostly PC) for stuff I've never heard of before.

tarmo888 (5258) on 9/7/2006 11:20 PM · Permalink · Report

feature to speed up Most Wanted page:

ability to choose what list ("have", "want" or user made) Most Wanted page is searching for results.

then we could make list like "game screenshots i own", "-countryname- covers i own"

for example: if i own different country covers and i have made a lists of those games then it is useless to search in my other lists (i don't own screenshots for all of the games i have covers and vice-versa)