🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Thought for an enhancement

L. Curtis Boyle (747) on 2/17/2006 6:03 PM · Permalink · Report

I know one thing that I really like, and Moby is almost there, is the ability to directly compare screenshots between different platforms. It would be nice if one could select several specific pictures from the ALL view, that it would then place side by side for comparitive purposes (say, screenshots of the same level, or intro screen, or what have you).
Listing the system requirements for each side by side would also be nice; one can appreciate the programming skill that went into a port that, say, took 1/4 the RAM as another.
Or maybe it's just me who would like to see this kind of stuff... :-)

Corn Popper (69027) on 2/17/2006 6:13 PM · Permalink · Report

cool idea, a comparing system...

I'll write up a feaute request for it... I think I can expand on this

nullnullnull (1463) on 2/17/2006 6:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Just so I properly set expectations. Our feature wish list is a mile long and twice as deep. Just because we do not implement something right away doesn't mean we thought it was bad or we are not going to do it. Keep the ideas coming.

Shoddyan (15004) on 2/17/2006 6:38 PM · Permalink · Report

The same screenshots (e.g. Level 3 or "The boss's lair") are not always displayed for different platform. While I like to have a title screen for every version of a game, there's no other requirement for submitters to take screenshots at the same places during gameplay (in fact, it's nice if we can capture as many different moments of gameplay as possible).

L. Curtis Boyle (747) on 2/19/2006 2:59 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start WildKard wrote--]The same screenshots (e.g. Level 3 or "The boss's lair") are not always displayed for different platform. While I like to have a title screen for every version of a game, there's no other requirement for submitters to take screenshots at the same places during gameplay (in fact, it's nice if we can capture as many different moments of gameplay as possible). [/Q --end WildKard wrote--]

That is why I suggested that you can select the 2 (or more) screenshots yourself; you can pick ones that are close, or pretty well the same, or what have you. Also, you could pick as many platforms as you want as well. I have done it manually using Opera (so I can resize different screenshots... well, at least until I discovered that you can set your account to do this on it's own... still learning). I like comparing all of the 8 bit platforms myself; I remember all the verbal sparring between owners of each platform, and who's version of which game was better (example for me is some of the unofficial ports on the TRS-80 Coco were MUCH better than the official ones, and better than some of the other 8 bit's out there... Donkey King comes to mind.)
Actually, that brings up another possible addition; the ability to compare to separate games, so one could look at clones, etc. to see which was the better version. I know that this would apply to other platforms as well.... I know some people on the Apple II thought that Gorgon was better than the official Defender.

Corn Popper (69027) on 2/19/2006 6:30 AM · Permalink · Report

I submitted a request for this... maybe some day it'll come to light

Belboz (6512) on 2/17/2006 11:14 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start L. Curtis Boyle wrote--] I know one thing that I really like, and Moby is almost there, is the ability to directly compare screenshots between different platforms. It would be nice if one could select several specific pictures from the ALL view, that it would then place side by side for comparitive purposes (say, screenshots of the same level, or intro screen, or what have you). Listing the system requirements for each side by side would also be nice; one can appreciate the programming skill that went into a port that, say, took 1/4 the RAM as another. Or maybe it's just me who would like to see this kind of stuff... :-) [/Q --end L. Curtis Boyle wrote--]

No, you're not the only one who likes this. When I submitted the EGA screenshots for King's Quest V, I choose the exact same shots as the VGA ones already posted for comparative purposes.

Servo (57070) on 2/18/2006 2:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, I like to compare shots as well; not all of us owned the latest, greatest VGA card so the techniques used to convert to different graphics modes/systems could sometimes make or break a game!

Trixter (8952) on 2/19/2006 11:17 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Servo wrote--]Yeah, I like to compare shots as well; not all of us owned the latest, greatest VGA card so the techniques used to convert to different graphics modes/systems could sometimes make or break a game! [/Q --end Servo wrote--]

Amen, brother. For example, check the title screen of If It Moves, Shoot It! That is one of the best CGA dithers I've ever seen (and I'm still trying to figure out the dither matrix (no, it's not Bayer :-)).