🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Talk > A deserted MMO

Cavalary (11445) on 10/11/2015 5:11 PM · Permalink · Report

Stumbled into an article about an apparently deserted MMO that still exists. Minions of Mirth is supposedly the name, we don't have it, but didn't put this under bounties, but of course if anybody wants to document it it wouldn't hurt.

Odd, to keep it running if that's true.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 10/12/2015 5:34 PM · Permalink · Report

I am quite sure there are other near-empty MMOs.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 10/30/2015 9:53 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cavalary wrote--]Odd, to keep it running if that's true.[/Q --end Cavalary wrote--]

Meridian 59, though not as deserted, is also still running, which I was quite surprised to find out. I remember it was one of the innovators in the genre, going online as early as 1995, almost two years before Ultima Online.

Apparently, the original creators acquired it back from the original publisher, and relaunched it as a free-to-play title. It's even open-source now. Remembering it from back in the day when I couldn't afford to play it on my allowance, I've had a look around a while back. Had some fun with it as I invited a friend to play along, but from what I remember, even on the supposedly more populated server 101 we never saw more than a handful of other players online.