🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Impressed, thus far.

Indra was here (20755) on 2/18/2010 9:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Probably one of the extremely rare cases where the sequel is worthy of mention. Mass Effect 1 seemed engrossingly over-rated to me. The fact that Mass Effect 2 hasn't hasn't yet been subject to discussion, now means to me that this game is engrossingly under-rated. :)

As of yet have recruited all team members and finished half of the squad's sub-quests. Surprised to see that many of the stories are extremely deep philosophically, mature, emotional, and all that lovely hoohaa.

Not quite sure about the main plot, but am extremely impressed with the Saurian scientist and Assassin sub-quests.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 2/18/2010 10:06 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I remember there were a few tough choices this time. I kept going through all the choices on the left side trying to get more information (and stall for time!)... still just had to make a tough choice. Still wonder if Cerberus did anything to the quarian at the very beginning of the game... and I like that I still don't know. They handled the ambiguity of that organization well.

I also felt like the game better understood why I was making the decisions I was making this time around. There were a few times in ME1 that I felt shoehorned into "their" concept of a Renegade or Paragon character. I felt more in tune with the character I was creating this time.

I do wish they do a sort of "Last Time on Mass Effect..." intro for ME3. It was hard to remember all the decisions I had made before. Though maybe that was the point of setting the game's story two years later, to coincide with the two year span between releases. Maybe you're not supposed to remember everything.

Indra was here (20755) on 2/18/2010 10:26 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start BurningStickMan wrote--]I do wish they do a sort of "Last Time on Mass Effect..." intro for ME3. It was hard to remember all the decisions I had made before. Though maybe that was the point of setting the game's story two years later, to coincide with the two year span between releases. Maybe you're not supposed to remember everything. [/Q --end BurningStickMan wrote--] Aye. Barely remember half the characters from MS1. Can't but imagine that a new player unfamiliar to the series would feel a tad left out.

Nice to know that Joker is finally someone worth visiting. The love-hate (or is it just hate-hate? :p) relationship with the AI is always a delight. Humor is also noticeably and elegantly increased in virtually all the dialogs.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 2/18/2010 10:56 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yes! So glad he was actually funny this time. Seth Green seemed to be enjoying his performance more too, now that he had something to say. Or maybe that's just my imagination.

Oh, and in terms of showing both humor and maturity, pursuing sexual relations between female Shepard and Garrus is high on that list. Hopefully that clip is on YouTube somewhere, but the interactions leading up to it are equally important.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/19/2010 5:34 AM · Permalink · Report

Yup, I think ME2 trumps the first one in terms of party members and quest content.

I was sure you, of all people, wouldn't like it. The gameplay is very far from heavy role-playing...

Indra was here (20755) on 2/20/2010 10:34 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]I was sure you, of all people, wouldn't like it. The gameplay is very far from heavy role-playing... [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] In my mind I wasn't playing an RPG. I was playing an 3rd person shooter action-adventure game with minor RPG elements. :)

Besides, it is noticeably superior compared to MS 1.

Slug Camargo (583) on 2/20/2010 4:55 AM · Permalink · Report

So that's the way of making an action-RPG appealing to you: Removing every last bit of true-to-form RPG mechanics, basically turning the game into a glorified shooter.

You are one strange creature, did I tell you that already? O_ó

Indra was here (20755) on 2/20/2010 10:36 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Schadenfreude wrote--]So that's the way of making an action-RPG appealing to you: Removing every last bit of true-to-form RPG mechanics, basically turning the game into a glorified shooter.

You are one strange creature, did I tell you that already? O_ó [/Q --end Schadenfreude wrote--] Technically (fanboi speaking), I would protest mentioning this game is an RPG. :)

X item will increase Shepard's health by 50%. How odd, there aren't any health stats. RPG my fanboi foot. :p

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 2/21/2010 8:14 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

this is a definate improvement. in fact it is only 1 of 2 games that made distinct improvements over it's predecesor, the other one being gears 2.

i have to agree with the humour comments. just take mordin's rendition of gilbert & sullivan! classic!

Indra was here (20755) on 2/22/2010 7:19 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start havoc of smeg wrote--]Just take Mordin's rendition of Gilbert & Sullivan! classic! [/Q --end havoc of smeg wrote--] That was actually a tad creepy. All his other comments were superb nonetheless.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 2/23/2010 5:40 AM · Permalink · Report

Or how about the radio/PA advertisement for the movie about the first Hanar Spectre?

And the later retraction?

St. Martyne (3648) on 2/22/2010 7:38 PM · Permalink · Report

Some thoughts on ME2.

As always it is with recent Bioware games, it failed to maintain the strong first impression. Nevertheless, there are still a lot of things raising this one significantly above its prequel.

I like the cinematics and I love the idea of a decentralized game. Gone are the boring samey two-room dungeons, side quests are.. actually, it's hard to know what exactly of what you are doing is optional or compulsory, which is a novel feeling in itself.

Characters aren't that great. Jacob is the same soldier-boy/prince with father issues, we've come to love and hate for years now. Miranda - a perfect woman with shifting loyalties, which isn't very intersting. I like Garrus, he fits the cliche of a trusted old friend perfectly and I really like the lead-up to his discovety. I don't like either Jack or Grunt, both are despicable creatures with a few supposedly redeeming qualities, neither of which I get. Not sure about a Salarian, I liked the premise of a badass and not exactly ethical scientist, but I don't know where his story ends, so I'll reserve judgement on him for now.

Mingames are atrocious. Especially resource gathering, at least you could enjoy driving Maco in the original game, here it is too much of a chore.

Being more of an action, rather than RPG doesn't bother me. At least, I don't see the difference between the original and sequel as being significant. The lack of fresh gameplay mechanics does bother me. A couple of stupid minigames doesn't make up for the lack of any interactivity or gameplay depth.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/23/2010 6:53 AM · Permalink · Report

Especially resource gathering, at least you could enjoy driving Maco in the original game, here it is too much of a chore.

Totally agree, I don't understand how this mouse-scanning stuff is better than the Mako of the original. I also don't understand why everyone hated the Mako. The problem was not the Mako, but the awful "copy and paste" level design of the original.

I don't like either Jack or Grunt, both are despicable creatures with a few supposedly redeeming qualities

Hmm, I wouldn't call Grunt "despicable", don't forget he is basically an artificially designed creature, and his dialogue stresses the fact that he is not in peace with his nature.

Besides, what do you expect from a krogan :)

I agree about Jack though. "Hey, I suffered when I was a child, now I hate and kill everyone, and think I'm super-cool" - that's just... not right.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 2/23/2010 12:41 PM · Permalink · Report

[q]you could enjoy driving Maco in the original game[/q]

you and unicorn lynx are probably the ONLY people ever who enjoyed driving the maco! for me, the maco itself was ok, but what really got me is that all the planets that you drove it on, save therum, you would HAVE to drive over several cliffs/mountains/big hulking rocks, just to get to where your going!

vedder (70822) on 2/23/2010 3:04 PM · Permalink · Report

It was kind of funny that the Maco was designed in such a way that all you had to do was press forward. Pressing forward while looking at a terribly bleak landscape didn't exactly sound like my idea of a good time.

Though I haven't played ME2 yet, the new scanning system doesn't sound any better.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 2/23/2010 4:19 PM · Permalink · Report

t's faster over. A huge improvement in my book.

Indra was here (20755) on 2/25/2010 4:33 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Though I haven't played ME2 yet, the new scanning system doesn't sound any better. [/Q --end vedder wrote--] Less time involved. Didn't enjoy the Maco, well actually I did but after 20 planets it does get a seriously annoying. Compared to the Maco experienced, I actually prefer the scanning system...although the downside to this is that you end up losing money to buy scanning probes...and not enough money to buy all the upgrades (did the developers think about that? No....)

Edit. Finished the game on Impossible. The ending is almost as bad as ME1. Why can't they create decent endings for crying out loud?

BurningStickMan (17916) on 2/25/2010 9:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Well... they'd better create a decent ending for ME3. And maybe they will without having the next part to think about/set up for.

St. Martyne (3648) on 2/23/2010 7:22 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start havoc of smeg wrote--] you and unicorn lynx are probably the ONLY people ever who enjoyed driving the maco! for me, the maco itself was ok, [/Q --end havoc of smeg wrote--]

I didn't say that I enjoyed it, I said that at least occasionally I could do so whereas moving a sluggish mouse over a planet surface, in hopes of randomly hitting a rich deposit of mineral I currently need, can't possibly be fun, period. No matter how much time it saves, it's decidedly unfun.

St. Martyne (3648) on 3/1/2010 9:57 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Finsihed. Not sure why you people bitch about the ending. T'was alright, I think. Kicked collector's ass, finally had an opportunity to talk back to Illusive Man, and shaking him off me was quite satisfying. I was rejoiced to see my companions die in the end portion of the game! So bold! I've lost both Tali and Grunt, and I'm sure I could've saved both of them. The fact that these events will have dire ramifications on the ME3 story is absolutely great.

Their deaths weren't heroic, their deaths weren't particulary pre-determined by game designers. Tali died because I didn't want to bother myself with the crappy mini-game, developers devised instead of proper exploration and resource gathering system. Nevertheless, I'm not angry at them. In the end it served a higher dramatic power. Tali died not for the cause, not in some last moment life-saving feat, but because of my impatience to get the fight to the Collectors as soon as possible. I was bored - she died. Did her death serve a dramatic purpose in the game? Did it make my Shepard reevaluate her beliefs? Hell, no. It was like most of deaths are. Unpredictable, pointless and clearly avoidable, had we known about it earlier.

The game in total, however, is so-so. There are thousands ways, in which it could've been improved without turning it into a dice-throwing fest Dragon Age is. But, alas, it's a shooter, a plain and simple shooter with some intersting character interaction in-between. No more, no less.

Indra was here (20755) on 3/2/2010 7:07 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start St. Martyne wrote--]Finished. Not sure why you people bitch about the ending. [/Q --end St. Martyne wrote--] Compared to the intro? (which you can't skip...) Somewhat a downer. Witcher still has the best ending in many a year.

Only lost one bloke. Dead because I didn't use him. How odd. Only found out he was dead after I finished the game. :p