DescriptionThree-headed demon Morgul has been influencing people's dreams to create nightmares, but more recently these nightmares have become real. Only Turrican can save them in this fast paced side scrolling shoot-em up. It features 5 worlds and 13 levels of challenging gameplay.
Gameplay is conceptually simple: just jump, shoot and explore. However, this game puts a lot of emphasis on finding and using the 10 different weapons Turrican can collect.
- "Hurrican" -- Working title
Part of the Following Group
There are no reviews for the Amiga release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
The Press Says
|Micro News||May, 1990||100|
|The Games Machine (UK)||May, 1990||92 out of 100||92|
|CU Amiga||Jun, 1990||91 out of 100||91|
|ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment)||Aug, 1990||912 out of 1000||91|
|The One||Aug, 1990||90 out of 100||90|
|Retrogaming.it||Feb 13, 2008||9 out of 10||90|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||May, 1990||10.6 out of 12||88|
|Amiga Format||Aug, 1990||88 out of 100||88|
|Amiga Action||Jul, 1990||83 out of 100||83|
|Amiga Power||May, 1991||50|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|no one but me cares about cover art||3||Pseudo_Intellectual (44729)
Oct 20, 2011
CoverThe cover art for the Game Boy, Sega Genesis and TurboGrafx-16 was painted by Julie Bell and is entitled Turrican.
Player characterThe player character was originally much thinner, but feedback from a British associate ("too girly") convinced the developers to make a last minute change. The original character can be seen on the Amiga back cover.
ReferencesThe title screen of Turrican was obviously inspired by the cover of the Manowar album Kings of Metal.
RemakeIn June 2007, a freeware Windows remake with the title Hurrican was released.
TitleThe name Turrican comes from the Italian name "Turricano", which the developers found in a phone book of Düsseldorf (Germany).
- Amiga Joker
- Issue 01/1991 – Best Action Game in 1990
- Amiga Power
- May 1991 (issue #00) - #88 in the "All Time Top 100 Amiga Games"
- Commodore Format
- July 1991 (Issue 10) - listed in the A to Z of Classic Games article (Great)
- Power Play
- Issue 01/1991 - Best Sound in 1990 (Amiga version)
- Retro Gamer
- September 2004 (Issue #8) – #100 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- ST Format
- Issue 01/1991 – #5 Best Shoot-'em-Up Game in 1990 (Atari ST)
Related Web Sites
- Turrican S.E.T.A. (Turrican series related site.)
- Wikipedia - Turrican (Article about the game in the open encyclopedia.)