1001 Video GamesBaldur's Gate II appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
German versionIn the German version the gore option is set to off by default and removed from the options menu. This results in missing blood and splatter effects.
NovelWizards of the Coast published a novelization of this game in 2000, written by Forgotten Realms series editor Philip Athans.
- Ever wonder what happened to the kids from the animated Dungeons and Dragons television show? In the back of the Adventurer's Mart, there are two portraits on the wall of these "Adventures far from home" with rather snide descriptions and the speculation that they ended up in the belly of Tiamat.
- In the Rangers cabin in Umar hills, you can find a book labeled "The Umar Witch Project", which clearly is a joke referring to the famous Blair Witch Project movie.
- In the Bridge district of Athkatla, on the third floor of an inn in the western part, you can find a picture of Elvis on the wall!
SalesIn 2001, Baldur's Gate II won the Gold-Award from the German VUD (Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland - Entertainment Software Association Germany) for selling more then 100,000 (but less then 200,000) units in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
- Computer Gaming World
- April 2001 (Issue #201) – Role-Playing Game of the Year
- November 2003 (Issue #232) – Introduced into the Hall of Fame
- Game Informer
- August 2001 (Issue #100) - #89 in the "Top 100 Games of All Time" poll
- 2000 – RPG Game of the Year
- 2001 – #37 Top Game of All Time
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 02/2001 - Best RPG in 2000
- Issue 02/2001 - Best Gameworld in 2000
- PC Player (Germany)
- Issue 01/2001 - Best Game in 2000
- Issue 01/2001 - Best RPG in 2000
- Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland
- 2001 - Gold Award