DescriptionThere always was a curse upon the Covenant family which killed them all either with a painful disease or drove them into madness. At the end of the 19th century the father of the current generation of Covenants reopens their old but abandoned mansion and thereby uncovers strange standing stones on an nearby island. Possessed by this discovery, he locked himself up in the library and wanted to uncover the meaning of those stones. Out of curiosity, in 1899 his three sons and two daughters stole a book about the stones out of his library, went to the island and conducted a dark and powerful ritual which marked the beginning of the end. During the following 20 years almost every member of the family either turned mad and killed themselves or died from something else.
Now it is the year 1923 and the very last member of the family, Jeremiah Covenant, lies on his deathbed with cancer in his body but he is not alone in his house. The spirits of his brothers and sisters haunt the house, strange events happen and evil creatures stroll through the mansion. In a final attempt to not only lift the family curse but also to put his fellow ancestors to rest, he calls upon Patrick Galloway. Patrick was part of his squad in the first great war and after a fierce battle against creatures, they had never seen before, he had specialised in abolishing such powers from the earth.
You take control over Patrick and walk around like in every other first person-shooter through the several locations of the game ranging from the mansion itself over other earthly locations to Oneiros and Eternal autumn, which are other plains of existence. On your way you uncover the mysteries of the family by reading books and papers which lie around the mansion or by talking to the few people still alive on the island.
Also reading might help you understand what is happening here, it won't help you survive against all the strange creatures that hide in the shadows and attack you without asking. It's also impossible to defeat the ancestral spirits without some serious firepower, so besides your trusty revolver, you'll also find several other weapons during the course of the game like Molotov cocktails, your lovely shotgun or a freeze gun shaped like a dragon head. Since you are fighting the paranormal, you also have access to several spells which allow you to see enemies before they see you, revive the dead or shoot Ectoplasm. Since you hold all your weapons in the left hand and you cast your spells with the right hand, it is possible to use both at any time.
As the name suggests, Clive Barker, the maker of the Hellraiser movies, had great influence in the making of the whole game. He also wrote the background story.
- "不死之灵" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Клайв Баркер. Проклятые" -- Russian spelling
- "Bu Si zhi Ling" -- Chinese title
Part of the Following Groups
- 3D Engine: UnrealEngine1
- Clive Barker games
- Game with Creator's name
- Setting: Interwar
- Theme: Haunted house
The Press Says
|GamePro (US)||Windows||Feb 21, 2001||100|
|Gamers' Temple, The||Windows||2001||97 out of 100||97|
|WomenGamers.com||Windows||Jun 26, 2001||9.14 out of 10||91|
|Mac Gamer||Macintosh||Jul 05, 2002||90 out of 100||90|
|GameSpy||Windows||Mar, 2001||89 out of 100||89|
|Power Unlimited||Windows||Apr, 2001||84 out of 100||84|
|PC Gamer Brasil||Windows||May, 2001||81 out of 100||81|
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Windows||May, 2001||80|
|Game Informer Magazine||Windows||May, 2001||8 out of 10||80|
|JeuxMac.com||Macintosh||Aug, 2002||3 out of 5||60|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Spoiler-ish screenshots?||10||Giu's Brain (533)
Dec 30, 2012
Cancelled sequelThe game had an open ending because the developers were already planning a sequel. Unfortunately, the sequel was canceled because of poor sales of the game.
Family portraitA family portrait of the Covenants is displayed in several rooms of the estate (and on the box, and in the advertisements...). While it is a striking picture, it is also impossible according to the time lines presented in the documentation and story. The picture shows Jeremiah seated in his post-war infirmed state. Jeremiah did not return from the war until after Lizbeth's death and Aaron's disappearance.
- A good deal of the music files used in Undying are actually recycled directly from Dreamworks Interactive's previous game, Trespasser. For example, the music that plays during the boss battle with Ambrose in Undying also plays during your first meeting with a T-Rex in Trespasser. The music which plays during Undying's final battle is taken from the Town level of Trespasser when you find two T-Rexs fighting each other.
- In the main theme song, you'll hear the choir sing "Spiro Spero, Spiro Scio." In latin, that roughly translates to "hope to breath, Hope to understand."
Player characterOriginally, the hero of the game was supposed to be Magnus Wolfram, a large, creepy-looking man with a bald, tattooed head. When he was introduced to the project, Clive Barker suggested that the team develop a more human, identifable protagonist (which led to the creation of Patrick Galloway).
Magnus' character model still exists in the game, however. It's used for the creepy Trsanti shaman that Galloway fights in the game's opening cinematic.
In an E! Online interview, Barker actually said (about the main character):
Make him somebody I want to sleep with. (...) What we had before was this kind of big fellow with all these tattoos, but there wasn't any charisma there. I think we needed somebody who the player was going to want to be...It would be like having Regis Philbin playing Indiana Jones.
- 2001 – Best Sound of the Year
Related Web Sites
- Bill Brown - Music Composer (Listen to streaming and downloadable MP3 music tracks from this title at the composer's official site. )
- Clive Barker's - Undying Fan Page and Walkthru (Undying walkthrough, FAQ and enemy descriptions)
- Scary Creatures (An Apple Games article about the Mac version of Clive Barker's Undying, with commentary provided by Aspyr's President Michael Rogers (August, 2001).)
- Standing Stones (Fan site for Undying, with editing support. Currently running a contest (with prizes) for the best original map.)
- Standing Stones (Undying fansite with walkthrough, cheats, maps and more.)