Forums > Game Forums > Clive Barker's Undying > Spoiler-ish screenshots?

Giu's Brain (503) on 12/26/2012 3:20 AM · Permalink · Report

I haven't played this game, but I was thinking about getting it, so I decided to skim through the reviews and take a look at the screenshots.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but some of the screenshots for this game seem a bit spoiler-ish?! Particularly in the screenshot description department. For example, I have the distinct impression I just got a quick and thoroughly unneeded "play-by-play" of the bosses and major characters you encounter in this game.

Any thoughts on this, particularly if anyone has actually played the game?

The reason I'm asking is that, as far as I know, spoilers are a "no-no" when it comes to submitting screenshots and other content; especially if they give away things you only learn later in the game.

GTramp (81963) on 12/26/2012 10:17 AM · Permalink · Report

I've played this game no less than five times, which is quite a rare thing for me. I must say it's still as great as it was more than 10 years ago. And about the screenshots - while the shots themselves are not too revealing, the captions would certainly spoil one's first playthrough. I'd vote for changing the captions to something more neutral.

Giu's Brain (503) on 12/27/2012 2:40 PM · Permalink · Report

I think you're absolutely right. The screenshots themselves might not give that much away, but some of the captions really made me feel that now I know too much.

Thank you for confirming my suspicion.

Slug Camargo (583) on 12/27/2012 9:36 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm not sure what you guys are on about. It's been a long time, but I don't think there are any important spoilers there. Sure, he's showing you every boss character in the game, but having to fight a demonic version of each one of the Covenant siblings is pretty much the basic premise for the game, it's established as your goal in the first 5 minutes; and you see Ambrose's and Lizbeth's "evil forms" during the very introductory sequence, so you know more or less what to expect in that regard from the get go.

Plus, the story is complex and at times even convoluted enough that mentioning bits and pieces won't do much to spoil it --it would take some major wall-of-texting to achieve that significantly. And even though, like I said, it's been long since I played this, I can remember at least two major plot points and one twist that aren't even reflected anywhere in these images.

Finally, on a personal note, even if the guy had described major plot points in full detail, I think the game's best feature are its set pieces, moments constructed with imagery and sound; and those are very hard to spoil anyway (and again, I can think of a handful that are not even pictured here).

Now, how the hell does one do to buy this game in this day and age? :(

Cavalary (11445) on 12/27/2012 9:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Like so? (Since I notice the review on the "most recent" one on Amazon saying it doesn't have support and keeps crashing.)

Slug Camargo (583) on 12/29/2012 10:25 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Third world country with no legal game distributing companies here, my friend. If I were to import a physical game I'd end up paying a customs tax that's just as much as a new game (around 50 US dollars last time I checked), on top of delivery costs and the actual price of the game --so for me it's digital distribution or piracy :/

Cavalary (11445) on 12/29/2012 12:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Then you just answered your own question. Can't buy it digitally, so... :p

Giu's Brain (503) on 12/29/2012 5:27 PM · Permalink · Report

5 pounds for the game, plus 2 pounds shipping? Not bad at all.

Still... why can't everything be on GOG, DRM-free, and for under $10? A beautiful dream, I know. :P

Cavalary (11445) on 12/29/2012 10:05 PM · Permalink · Report

That'd be neat... once they'd add payment methods for those who don't or won't use credit cards.

Then again, not even on GOG is it under $10 for all anymore. Priciest (at full price, not now) is $34.99 at the moment I believe.

Giu's Brain (503) on 12/30/2012 1:16 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, I had old games in mind when I said $10. The highest price that I know of on GOG is indeed $34.99, but at least they only charge that for new(ish) games.