Join American, British, Polish, French, Canadians, or the German army in WW2, from Invasion of France to the end of the war in this hybrid tactical wargame. Control 50 heavy weapons, 126 vehicles, 45 types of terrain, and 50 missions. Mission editor is included, limited only by your imagination. See all your units move and fight in full 3D, in a turn-based/simultaneous execution format. The latest version adds TCP/IP multiplayer support!
- "战斗任务：远方霸主" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Линия фронта: Нормандия" -- Russian spelling
- "Squad Leader" -- Working title
- "Combat Mission" -- German/UK title
- "CM: Beyond Overlord" -- Abbreviated title
Part of the Following Groups
There are currently no topics for this game.
Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
was first in development at Big Time Software
helmed by Charles Moylan
, but when it became apparent that its publishing company Avalon Hill
would be acquired by Hasbro Interactive
, the studio was absorbed into Battlefront.com
in 1999, which Moyan co-founded a few years before, and where the development team was expanded.
Battlefront designed and produced this game, and originally the only way to buy it was through their website. Why? They believe the gaming industry is unfair to wargames, and decided to produce and sell the game themselves. Later, CDV picked it up in a distribution deal, after packaging it with over 100 user contributed scenarios, improved textures, vehicles, and more. The result is a "special edition" which can only be found in stores.
The names of in-game Polish soldiers have been taken from names of contemporary Polish politicians (such as Buzek
). Non-Polish players probably won't notice, but for someone from Poland it's an amusing experience to see the famous politicians commandeering battalions.
Information also contributed by
Kasey Chang and
- Computer Gaming World
- April 2001 (Issue #201) – Wargame of the Year
- PC Gamer
- October 2001 - #50 in the "Top 50 Games of All Time" list
Related Web Sites
- Combat Mission HQ (Home of the CM Webring and famous CMHQ Chat where many of the game designers and beta testers hang out. Also has the largest collection of add-ons for Combat Mission on the internet.)