🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Fallout > How inappropriate though good music can ruin the game.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 1/4/2008 11:22 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Video.

For those who are interested, the real Fallout soundtrack is this.

Shoddyan (15004) on 1/5/2008 8:22 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Drunken Irishman wrote--]Video.

For those who are interested, the real Fallout soundtrack is this. [/Q --end Drunken Irishman wrote--]

It's simply a matter of setting the mood with the scenes (gameplay) you're watching. Sound designers can spend a lot of time deciding what's "right" for any piece of soundtrack at any given instance.

For another example, take Marvel VS. Capcom 2, I think the game has great music personally except..... the music doesn't match the game at all. Whenever I play MVC2 (and it's been a long time) I tend to mute the music and listen to something else... just because the nice jazzy tunes don't fit with what I expect to listen to when I'm playing a fighting game. But like I said... I DO like the music... and happily listen to it when I'm not actually playing that game.

Youtube link for MvC2's music... follow the related links for more background tunes

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/5/2008 9:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Good music which ruined a good game... Hm...

I can't think of any. Usually a game takes good care no to spoil it's great music. However I am often faced with a situation when there is a good game which has great music, but there's too little of it and it plays randomly without reflecting or accentuating the scene you're in.

I am thinking of Morrowind right now, but I've encountered many games which suffered the same disease.

Sometimes even excellent tunes made the head go dizzy if you listen it for a hundredth time.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 1/6/2008 6:15 AM · Permalink · Report

For me a lot of games suffer from "how good music can ruin the game" syndrome. Especially Nobuo Uematsu music which I often find inappropriate for that or that moment.

SharkD (425) on 1/6/2008 7:09 AM · Permalink · Report

What the game is really missing is some polka. Nothing makes me want to incinerate hordes of Super Mutants like a good umpa band.