🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Spectre VR > Spectre Challenger

Edwin Drost (9479) on 1/25/2017 1:03 AM · Permalink · Report

I am not sure if I asking or showing this in the right place, but I seem to have an 3.5 Disk of Spectre Challenger;

Could someon tell me it was a game of its own or a Demo of Spectre VR? I just cannot remember it at this moment. Anyone?

Rwolf (22827) on 1/25/2017 1:31 AM · Permalink · Report

What I could find out with a quick search, that is the demo for the game.

Edwin Drost (9479) on 1/25/2017 10:28 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yeah. I just remembered. (my memory always does that way at the wrong moments) Well, I did looked on the internet to know more about it, but there is not THAT much to find on.

There is only a couple of them (Circa three) that mentions about being a demo and some others just said something in the trend of "Have you played/remember the game Spectre Challenger?". So that is why I was asking this. If you know what I mean.

The interesting parts is that there is no game websites (only discussion boards) are talking about this. (or did I just look with my nose?) and that the most on the discussion board are/were talking about the MAC version. Only a couple were about the DOS version.

Now the thing is where to put this. Should it be in the Releases and Cover Art of Spectre VR or somewhere else?

Edwin Drost (9479) on 1/27/2017 12:41 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I shall put this in the Demo versions. (I shall try to make a good picture of it*, because of the no background policy and all)

Is this a good picture of the 3.5 disk for in the Cover Art?

PS: Photobucket is acting up again, so I'm not sure if I will get a better one at this moment. Sorry.

• I'm still cautious about using the scanner on 3.5 or 5.25 disks. Yes, I did it with the two disks of the Monkey Island series and I really really really truly truly hope that using the scanner does not mess with them. If you know what I mean.

Now how to call this? Spectre VR (Spectre Challenger Demo Version) or Spectre Challenger: Spectre VR (Demo Version) ? There is also not much to find about this demo. Only a couple of mentions on discussion boards but that is it. If you know what I mean.

Rwolf (22827) on 1/27/2017 2:51 PM · Permalink · Report

It looks ok to me...but do you mean that a scanner would warp or demagnetize a floppy media?

I've not thought it could, the scan is pretty fast so heat would disperse quick, and I've never noticed any problems in doing so? Who claims this is an issue?

Edwin Drost (9479) on 1/27/2017 3:10 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, to be honest it is me who just really thought that it would not be okay for the disks. (I'm a bit old-fashioned) I am happy to hear that it would not do anything to them.

Now I should put this in the game group of the Demo Versions, right? Shall I call this; Spectre VR (Spectre Challenger Demo Version)?

Edit: As I said before, it is very interesting that there is so little to find about this demo. Only in some of the discussion boards, but that is more about if they can remember this and all. If you know what I mean.

konc on 3/3/2017 4:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Forgive me for jumping in this, but I recently got the same disk. We all agree that this is a cut-off/demo version, quoting from the included manual.txt:

"In Spectre Challenger, the number of levels you can play is limited, and several features are deactivated. Most importantly, Spectre Challenger does not include network support. With the full version of Spectre, you can do battle with up to seven other people over a local area network."

I believe though that this disk is not a demo for Spectre VR, but for the first Spectre (1992). The title screen, the options menu, vehicle selection, everything is identical to the 1992 Spectre and not to VR.

In addition the same manual helps the user in purchasing, again, just "Spectre" and not the VR. Quoting again:

"To get your hands on the full version of Spectre, visit your local retailer or call 415-392-HELP to order direct from Velocity. Spectre is also available for the Macintosh computer."

Does anyone else share the same thoughts on this? It doesn't look at all like a VR demo to me, everything is identical to the first game.

Rwolf (22827) on 3/3/2017 5:16 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

That is strange; why make a cut-down demo in 1993 (as dated on the floppy label) for a game released in 1992? Oh well, you have the disk...maybe Edwin will concur when he has had opportunity to check it out?

konc on 3/4/2017 3:46 PM · Permalink · Report

You're right, it is strange. The files on the disk are also dated 1993. But every single screen of the demo is identical to the 1992 game. I can post screenshots if needed, it's obvious when comparing them to the existing screenshots of the two games already in mobygames.

Edwin Drost (9479) on 3/8/2017 12:52 PM · Permalink · Report

I could not remember at the time that this is actually a demo for Spectre and not for Spectre VR. At this moment I cannot check it out because I have it at home and I'm now at my parents place to overcome my jetlag (13 hours). I will do this as soon as possible. Sorry about that.