Tommy's Starball (DOS)

Tommy's Starball DOS This is the start of the game, when the star field is being populated

MISSING COVER

Written by  :  piltdown_man (76908)
Written on  :  Feb 13, 2011
read more reviews by piltdown_man

Summary

Who needs fancy graphics?

The Good

I thought this game was a little gem. It's really simple to play but its fun, addictive, and has that magic 'something' that had me hooked.
There's a lot of shooting involved and the bullets seemed to be fired randomly in the cardinal directions. That's not a problem because there's no aiming involved and no need for lightning reflexes. For me this is a good thing.
What the player does need is an awareness of position. Being in a position where there's nothing to shoot means there's no chance of building a high score and it leaves the player vulnerable to a bullet that wraps around the screen.
Zapping around the screen is therefore necessary and a good thing, except when the player does what I did and moves to a new star just in time to catch the bullet I'd fired just prior to the move.

The Bad

I'm getting soft in my old age, I really would have liked to have a second or third life and I found the numeric keypad difficult to use.

The Bottom Line

For a shooting game this requires quite a bit of thought.