DescriptionWhen there's a hideous alien race, mad terrorist army, or just some general madman scumball to be eliminated, there's only one team to do the job: the Hard Corps.
Now some madman military commander has stolen an alien cell; a remainder of the Alien Wars. He plans on using the cell to resurrect and clone Red Falcon, the most dangerous alien ever to exist! If he wins, the world as we know it is history!
The Hard Corps must stop his plans from being set into motion and destroy that alien cell before the Earth is destroyed!
- "魂斗羅 ザ・ハードコア" -- Japanese spelling
- "Probotector" -- European title
- "Contra: The Hard Corps" -- Japanese title
Part of the Following Group
|Too much Action, even for Bruce Willis||Othello Picklehammer (12)||unrated|
|HonestGamers||Sep 18, 2004||10 out of 10||100|
|Retrogaming History||Nov 06, 2009||9.5 out of 10||95|
|Quebec Gamers||Aug 04, 2005||9.4 out of 10||94|
|Game Players||Oct, 1994||92 out of 100||92|
|neXGam||Dec 27, 2009||9.2 out of 10||92|
|Digital Press - Classic Video Games||Jul 03, 2005||9 out of 10||90|
|That Gaming Site||Nov 30, 2009||8.5 out of 10||85|
|Retroage||Sep 05, 2009||7.7 out of 10||77|
|Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM)||Oct, 1994||7.3 out of 10||73|
|The Video Game Critic||Oct 18, 2007||C-||42|
There are currently no topics for this game.
European versionThe European versions of Contra Hard Corps had been vastly censored and altered. There are no human characters in the European version, for one. Everyone's a robot. Plus, the story has been changed to just some mad robot trying to take over the world.
Increased difficultyThe Japanese original allows the player characters to take three hits before dying. This was removed in the American and European releases, resulting in a more difficult game. There are unofficial patches for use with a ROM file that address this and offer other improvements.
- During the sound test, you can find a tune named Simon 1994 AD. This is actually a hyped-up, overhauled version of Vampire Killer from Konami's Castlevania.
- There is also a secret area in level 3 (The Junkyard), where you must fight three robots. One of them is a super-deformed Simon Belmont-like robot. Right before he comes out, he whips a candle that gives him a fish, which he uses like a boomerang.
- 1994 (Vol.3, Iss.1) - Overall Action/Arcade Game of the Year
- 1994 (Vol.3, Iss.1) - Best Genesis Action/Arcade Game of the Year
- 1994 (Vol.3, Iss.1) - Best Genesis Two-Player Game of the Year
Related Web Sites
- Contra Encyclopedia (Fan site dedicated to the official games in the Contra series. All versions of each game are covered. Information includes release dates, detailed game descriptions, regional differences, lots of trivia and interesting information about the games' developmental stages. There is also plenty of screenshots, links and additional resources)
- The Contra Headquarters (A hosted fan "shrine" site devoted to all the games of the Contra series, including the Sega Genesis game Contra: Hard Corps. Content includes game info/descriptions, plot summaries, various kinds of media (images, MP3s, etc.) and links to other Contra-related sites. )