🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Battleship > multimedia craze

Rola (8483) on 12/29/2012 10:04 PM · Permalink · Report

Reminds me of early 1990s "multimedia CD-ROM" craze... adding FMV cutscenes to Battleship game?

Next: Tic-tac-toe, the First Person Shooter! :D

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 12/30/2012 7:00 AM · Permalink · Report

Reminds me of a chess variant I saw at a wargaming convention in the early '90s, "Rocket Chess". Chess with, well, long-range projectiles. The game came with two little noisemakers which would produce the electronic bleep of a projectile going up and then down and then exploding, and it was written into the rules that the noisemaker had to be activated for a move to be considered valid.

Rola (8483) on 12/30/2012 7:26 AM · Permalink · Report

Oooh... this should be in Wikipedia under "design fault"...

Stuff like this only slows down gameplay. Pros never need it, yet even newbies soon get bored by cool animations as in Battle Chess or Star Wars Chess, turning them off after just few matches.

lilalurl (733) on 12/30/2012 7:59 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]Oooh... this should be in Wikipedia under "design fault"...[/Q --end Rola wrote--]

Soon to be filled with most (all?) Japanese tactical RPGs and many RPGs :-). And TCGs (at least the recent Yu-Gi-Oh games)

I remember that some Statego or Risk games from the 90s, that I played at a friend's, had such multimedia "improvements". But I can't remember if they were skippable or not