DescriptionLarry Lovage learned everything he knows from his uncle, Larry Laffer, the famous polyester-clad fellow who starred in the previous games. Young Larry finally makes it to college, the best place to meet and pick up girls. He finds them everywhere .. in restaurants, night clubs, dormitories and at fraternity parties. All those scantilly clad, gorgeous babes! But, does Larry have half a chance to score with even one of them? Will he get a peek at what's underneath that braless, too-tight tank top?
Larry's sexcapades include varied types of arcade mini-games. Some simply require good reflexes while others involve memory and/or correct timing. For instance, steer a little joker sperm through an obstacle course of flying objects, all the while trying to keep the "course" of the conversation on track. Or .. put the correct ingredients into a bar drink in order - and in the time allowed. Several of the games become more difficult as the game progresses.
This action/adventure features three endings, over 20 locations, 3D graphics, and hilarious adult situations and conversations.
- "情圣拉瑞：优等生" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Похождения Ларри: Кончить с отличием" -- Russian spelling
- "LSL8" -- Common abbreviation
- "Leisure Suit Larry 8" -- Informal title
- "Larry 8" -- Common informal title
Part of the Following Groups
- Gameplay feature: Quick Time Events / QTEs
- Gameplay feature: Whac-A-Mole
- Leisure Suit Larry series
- Middleware: CRI
|Al Lowe, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.||Xbox||TheSmashingPenguin (52)|
|Trite, repetitive... downright terrible.||Windows||Vaelor (377)|
|Virtual Boobies!||Windows||Cristhian Serur (11)|
|Magna Cum Laude doesn't make the top of its class among Larry games||PlayStation 2||Craig Tucker (3)|
|4Players.de||Xbox||Dec 12, 2004||74 out of 100||74|
|Eurogamer.net (UK)||PlayStation 2||Oct 13, 2004||7 out of 10||70|
|Game Over Online||Xbox||Oct 12, 2004||69 out of 100||69|
|Absolute Games (AG.ru)||Windows||Dec 08, 2004||67 out of 100||67|
|1UP||Xbox||Oct 13, 2004||6.5 out of 10||65|
|Fragland.net||Windows||Dec 27, 2004||63 out of 100||63|
|UOL Jogos||Windows||Dec 22, 2004||60|
|Daily Game||Windows||Oct 20, 2004||5.5 out of 10||55|
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Windows||Dec, 2004||40|
|Game Revolution||PlayStation 2||Oct, 2004||D-||16|
There are currently no topics for this game.
AustraliaVivendi Universal Australia handed the Australian censors the US version of the game to review, which happened to be the version that contains less nudity. Unfortunately, the censors were not satisfied with this version, giving it an RC (refused classification) rating. This means that as of September 9, 2004, it is illegal for the game to be sold, hired, or exhibited in Australia. At the end of the day, Vivendi refused to submit a revised version because doing so would have ruined the gameplay.
DevelopmentMagna Cum Laude is the first Leisure Suit Larry game that did not involve Al Lowe, Larry's original creator. He left when Leisure Suit Larry 8 was canned by Sierra in 1998. Some working titles were Lust in Space and Welcome to Uranus. This makes Magna Cum Laude unofficially the ninth in the series, with two games missing: fourt and eight. It also the first game in the series released on the consoles.
ESBRSurprisingly, the US Windows version has only received a Mature ESRB rating. Vivendi toned down the nudity to avoid having it banned. However, they released an Uncut and Uncensored version in the US at the end of October, 2004, with more explicit nudity. There are no gameplay changes as it is actually identical to the European version, which had no censoring at all.
PlayboyThe character Luba Licious was one of three virtual women to appear nude in the October 2004 issue of Playboy magazine. A specially designed two page full frontal fold-out of Luba was part of a short article titled "Gaming Grows Up".
- When Larry is in the laboratory, he accidentally starts a futuristic looking machine. It's called an "Interocitor" and was featured in the B-Movie bomb This Island Earth, which was spoofed in the Mystery Science Theather 3000 Movie.
- The Delta Iota Omicron fraternity, DIO, is a more than obvious reference and salute to classic heavy metal bands, the first reference being Ronnie James Dio, one of the lead singers who were in Black Sabbath. The Sabbath references don't stop there; the main three frat guys on that house are nicknamed after Black Sabbath songs (Supernaut, Sweet Leaf and War Pigs).
Title"Magna Cum Laude" is a Latin phrase meaning "with great honor".
- Computer Gaming World
- March 2005 (Issue #249) – Biggest Letdown of the Year
- 2004 – Biggest Disappointment of the Year (PC)
- 2004 - Biggest Abuse of a Classic License (Xbox)
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 03/2005 - Worst Dub in 2004
- Issue 04/2009 - One of the "10 Most Terrible Sequels" (It fails because the developers misinterpreted everything that made the series big: satire, narratives which ultimately are about love and a likable player character. Instead the game focuses on sex, obscenities and flat gameplay.)
- PC Powerplay (Germany)
- Issue 01/2005 - Most Horny Game Hero in 2004 (for Larry Loveage)
Related Web Sites
- Armchair Empire Interview (Q&A with Joshua VanVeld of High Voltage Software about Magna Cum Laude)
- Conversation Scripts (This is a transcription of all the conversations in the game. Reader discretion is advised.)
- Designer Interview (Just Adventure's Randy Sluganski interviews the designers of Magna Cum Laude about the game and its content.)
- Hints for Magna Cum Laude (UHS hints give you solutions, but the answers are designed to help you solve the problems & puzzles yourself.)
- Leisure Suit Larry (Official German website)
- Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude (Official web site)
- Walkthrough by MysticWeirdo (Comprehensive solution/guide on solving the game.)
- Who is Larry? (Fun site that includes a "Babe of the Month")
- Wikipedia: Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude (Information about Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude at Wikipedia)