DescriptionThe first game in the Gran Turismo series of racing simulations.
You can choose between the arcade version (featuring classic cars such as Corvettes and Aston Martins) or the simulation, which is the true heart of the game. The simulation starts you on an entire racing career beginning with a cheap used car and second-rate tracks. You will find yourself longing for the Dodge Viper as your sad $10,000 starting fund puts you behind the wheel of a used Honda Prelude or Mazda RX-7. As you win races, acquire money, and earn advanced licenses, you are able to buy better cars and race in more competitive matches right up to the GT World Cup.
Features more than 140 cars.
- "GT" -- Common abbreviation
- "Gran Turismo: The Real Driving Simulator" -- Tag-lined title
Part of the Following Groups
- Automobile: Chevrolet Camaro
- Automobile: Chevrolet Corvette
- Automobile: Dodge Viper
- Automobile: Honda Accord
- Automobile: Honda Civic
- Automobile: Honda Integra
- Automobile: Honda NSX
- Automobile: Honda Prelude
- Automobile: Mazda MX-5
- Automobile: Mazda RX-7
- Automobile: Mitsubishi Eclipse
- Automobile: Mitsubishi GTO
- Automobile: Mitsubishi Lancer
- Automobile: Nissan Primera
- Automobile: Nissan Skyline
- Automobile: Subaru Impreza
- Automobile: Subaru Legacy
- Automobile: Toyota Celica
- Automobile: Toyota MR2
- Automobile: Toyota Supra
- Gran Turismo series
- PlayStation Greatest Hits releases
- PlayStation Platinum Range releases
- PlayStation the Best series
|The best racing game||The Holy Moly (21)|
|Ahhhh||Ashley Pomeroy (233)||unrated|
|Revolutionized Racing Sims, and Continues to Sell Playstations||Glenn Barnett (15)|
|Most Realistic Racing Game Ever Released for The original PlayStation||Raihan Lazuardi (4)|
|Absolute Playstation||May, 1998||97.33 out of 100||97|
|Ultra Game Players||1998||95 out of 100||95|
|IGN||Aug 23, 1998||9.5 out of 10||95|
|Gamezone (Germany)||Apr 26, 2001||9.5 out of 10||95|
|Video Games||May, 1998||94 out of 100||94|
|Mega Fun||Feb, 1998||92 out of 100||92|
|PSX Extreme||Dec 01, 1999||9.1 out of 10||91|
|Joystick (French)||Mar, 1998||91 out of 100||91|
|Entertainment Weekly||Jun 19, 1998||A-||91|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Aug 15, 2001||9 out of 10||90|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesGran Turismo appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
References to the gameThis game is referenced in the Eiffel 65 song, My Console.
SalesAccording to developer Polyphony Digital, Gran Turismo sold 10,850,000 copies worldwide since its original release.
- Game Informer
- August 2001 (Issue #100) - #21 in the "Top 100 Games of All Time" poll
Related Web Sites
- Gran Turismo (Official game website)
- GT Planet (Covering the World of Gran Turismo)
- IGCD Internet Game Cars Database (Game page on IGCD, a database that tries to archive vehicles found in video games.)
- Wikipedia: Gran Turismo (Information about Gran Turismo at Wikipedia)