Super Mario World
DevelopmentThis game took approximately 29,000 hours to program. (Sources: Nintendo, World Features Syndicate)
SalesSuper Mario World sold over 20 million copies and is,a so 2003, the second best-selling Mario game (only behind the original Super Mario Bros., which sold over 40 million), the best selling Super NES game and the best selling 4th generation console game ever. The reason for those huge sales: It was the original "pack-in" game for the Super Nintendo. A copy was included in the package when you bought a new SNES.
YoshiShigeru Miyamoto wanted to have Mario ride an animal since Super Mario Bros. (among other discarded ideas), but couldn't figure out how to make it work within the limits of the Famicom's graphical capabilities. This was finally resurrected in Super Mario World as Yoshi.
Yoshi's arms in the game are orange no matter what color Yoshi you are riding. Art on the box and in the game manual portray only green Yoshi with green arms. The re-release on the Game Boy Advance now has each color Yoshi with arms matching the color of his skin.
- Issue #200 (February 2006) – #88 out of 200 of the "Greatest Games of Their Time"
- Game Informer
- Issue #100 (August 2001) – #46 in the "Top 100 Games of All Time" poll
- Power Play
- Issue 02/1992 – Best SNES Game in 1991
- Retro Gamer
- October 2004 (Issue #9) – #2 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- Issue #37 – #1 in the "Top 25 Platformers of All Time" poll
Contributed by Mumm-Ra (382) on May 04, 2003. [revised by : MobyGames was killed by GameFly (89481) and Sciere (217832)].