DescriptionJoe is your normal everyday guy, watching movies and hanging out with his girlfriend, Silvia. But when Silvia is sucked into a movie reel by an evil force, Joe's life is turned upside down. It's up to you to take everyman Joe and turn him into a superhero to end all superhero's and save his girl.
With a heavy dose of comic book visuals, Viewtiful Joe is an action-heavy 2D side-scroller inside a 3D world, that will have you using the amazing abilities of the hero in question as you slice and dice the many enemies on screen with VFX special moves, such as Slow and Mach Speed. You'll have the chance to earn 'Viewtifuls', which will boost your abilities with new killer moves and special items. You'll need them as you progress further into the seven episodes and big bosses at the end of each.
There are no promo images for this game
- "红侠乔伊" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Viewtiful Joe Revival" -- Japanese budget re-release title
- "Viewtiful Joe: A New Hope" -- Japanese PS2 title
- "Red Hot Man" -- Working title
Part of the Following Groups
- Games made into TV series
- Nintendo Player's Choice releases
- Theme: Time Manipulation
- Viewtiful Joe series
- Visual technique / style: Cel shaded
|Mad Japanese crazy superhero action!||GameCube||Garland (14)|
|Viewtiful Joe is an impressive form of art that also happens to be a great yet challenging game.||GameCube||diglot.net (28)|
|Side Scrollers Return||GameCube||Game22 (42)|
|Classic platforming action returns. New console, new look, same great fun||GameCube||Shadowcaster (237)|
|Lives up to the name: Viewtiful||GameCube||reyo (17)|
|Wow!||GameCube||Martin Greenberg (3)|
|Gaming Age||GameCube||Oct 07, 2003||A||100|
|Stuff Magazine||GameCube||Sep 02, 2004||10 out of 10||100|
|Nintendojo||GameCube||Jul 15, 2003||9.8 out of 10||98|
|DarkZero||GameCube||Dec 31, 2003||9.2 out of 10||92|
|GamesCollection||GameCube||Sep 05, 2008||9 out of 10||90|
|GamePro (US)||PlayStation 2||Sep 22, 2004||4.5 out of 5||90|
|Video Games Daily||GameCube||Jul 23, 2003||9 out of 10||90|
|GameSpot||PlayStation 2||Aug 23, 2004||8.8 out of 10||88|
|Jeuxvideo.com||GameCube||Nov 07, 2003||17 out of 20||85|
|Nintendo Life||GameCube||Apr 14, 2013||80|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesViewtiful Joe appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Black CatA black cat appears throughout the game:
- Illustrated in posters on street scenes
- Driving the runaway jet-powered buses
- In a space suit at the beginning of the space station
Catchphrase"Henshin" in Japanese means "transform", so Joe's catchphrase when he changes, "Henshin a go-go, baby!", translates (obviously) to, "Transform a go-go, baby!"
InfluencesIn an interview on 1UP, Hideki Kamiya mentions the movies that influenced the design process: Life is Beautiful inspired the Viewtiful Joe bonus video, and the bus in the movie Speed was the inspiration for the bus in Viewtiful Joe. Jaws was the inspiration for the Shark Boss.
- When holding down the X button, Joe will throw up a bomb, jiggle it on his knee, and whistle the first 6 notes of the Mario theme. If doing it in mid-air, he'll whistle another part of the Mario theme. In Slow Motion, he'll whistle yet another part.
- In level 2, Some Like It Red Hot, there are billboards with a scantly clad women titled Playguy, which is a reference to the Playboy magazine.
- Sometimes the third boss, Gran Bruce, spits out a Nintendo GameCube.
- Gran Bruce's name is quite possibly a reference to Jaws. More specifically, the mechanical shark used in the movie, which was nicknamed Bruce by the crew.
- The Japanese PlayStation 2 version is called Viewtiful Joe: A New Hope, after the later added subtitle of Star Wars.
- Most of the names of the stages are puns regarding famous movie names: Some Like It Hot, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Great Escape, Midnight Cowboy and The Magnificent Seven.
- Take a look at the back of the US GameCube box. It has a robot that looks very much like the R.O.B accessory for the NES console.
ReferencesThe final level has many references to Star Wars:
- The space dock interior with the the ranks of troops on the black mirror floor looks like the Death Star reception for the Emperor in Return of the Jedi.
- The Die Fighters have hexagonal wings.
- Blue tells Sylvia: "I am your father, Sylvia".
- In the end titles, the Joe and Sylvia poster is subtitled: "In a viewtiful galaxy, far far away".
Viewtiful Joe RevivalCapcom re-released Viewtiful Joe in Japan with some new content and a new, easier difficulty mode titled Suwito (Sweet) on December 18, 2003. The upgraded version is called Viewtiful Joe Revival and is priced at 3,980 Yen ($36).
- 2003 – Biggest Console Surprise of the Year (GameCube)
- 2003 – #4 GameCube Game of the Year
- 2003 - Most Stylish Game of the Year (GameCube)
- 2004 – Better Late Than Never Award (PS2)
- Golden Joystick Award
- 2003 - Unsung Hero Game of the Year
Related Web Sites