DescriptionA long time ago, the great wizard Zot forged an orb of power. He soon vanished, leaving behind a vast castle filled with monsters, traps, and great treasures including the orb of power. The player takes the role of a bold adventurer in search of the orb of power and whatever other treasures he can make it out of the castle with.
The Wizard's Castle is a text-based role-playing game. The player creates a character, choosing between the races of elf, human, dwarf, and hobbit, distinguished by their personal statistics (strength, intelligence, and dexterity). The player can also choose the initial weapons, armor, and items to take on the quest. When all is ready, the hero ventures into the dungeon.
Gameplay is in some ways similar to a text adventure, with text descriptions replacing graphics. Simple commands are used to move from room to room, consult a map, or look around. However, many times the player only needs to choose from a several options for the current situation, such as during battles. There are vendors the protagonist can trade with, mystical pools which can give or take away power, warps to far parts of the castle, numerous monsters to fight and assorted treasures to find.
The game was originally written for the Exidy Sorcerer and was later ported to other BASIC platforms.
- "The Temple of Loth" -- DOS in-game title
- "The Orb of Zot" -- Alternate pre-release title.
- "Temple of Loth" -- Alternate pre-release title.
- "Hobbit Adventure" -- HP-41 port title
Part of the Following Groups
|Interesting strategy/adventure/rpg mix, simple but addictive||DOS||General Error (4144)|
|The first RPG running on DOS is a solid one.||DOS||Nélio (2008)|
There are no critic reviews for this game.
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Interactive fiction? Also, splitting||69||Tracy Poff (1690)
Apr 27, 2014
TriviaThe Commodore PET/CBM version will also run on a Commodore 64 and Commodore 128 (in 64 mode).
Related Web Sites
- Port the Wizard's Castle to JAVA as a homework assignment! (Lab 2 of Williams College's Fall 2005 session of Computer Science 136: Data Structures and Advanced Programming posed this quandary (all right, a sub-set of it: "come to lab with a proposed design for the Castle class") to the students.)
- Temple of Loth remake (This is a remake of Temple of Loth (alternative title for The Wizard's Castle) that features colored text, some graphics and sound. It requires the GWBASIC (or compatible) interpreter.)
- The story of The Wizard's Castle (Armchair Arcade article where Joseph Power and the Derelict recounts the history of this game and its Windows remake.)
- The Wizard's Castle source code. (You can get the game's source code at this location.)
- Wizard's Castle Windows Remake (A Windows remake of Wizard's Castle.)