Developer BIOBrian Reynolds (born 1967) is a North American game designer. Honored by PC Gamer magazine as one of twenty-five "Game Gods," Reynolds has masterminded the design of such strategy games as Civilization II, Alpha Centauri and Rise of Nations.
Reynolds' game career began in 1991 when he joined Microprose as the lead programmer for their graphic adventure series. Early games included Rex Nebular (1992), Return of the Phantom (1993), and Dragonsphere (1993). But Reynolds' greatest passion has always been for strategy games. As the graphic adventure series wound down, Brian began work on a prototype which eventually became a collaboration with Sid Meier, the eponymous Sid Meier's Colonization (1994). Acclaim for Colonization led to Reynolds' first stint as lead designer: Reynolds and Kaufman sequelized Meier's Civilization (1991) to create Civilization II (1996).
The runaway success of Civilization II gave Reynolds the beginnings of “name recognition” in the industry and he became a founding partner in Firaxis Games, his first entrepreneurial venture. At Firaxis, he contributed to the design of Sid Meier's Gettysburg (1997), and then led the design and creation of Alpha Centauri (1998), his second million-selling game. In 2000, Brian sold his stake in Firaxis to pursue his new dream, Big Huge Games.
Reynolds briefly pursued graduate studies in Philosophy at U.C. Berkeley.
Edit Bio | View History
- Interview July 2007 (part 2)) -- continuation of HeavenGames interview
- Interview July 2007 (part 1)) -- HeavenGames, a site dedicated to the game Age Of Empires, interviewed Brian Reynolds following the upcoming release of Age of Empires 3: The Asian Dynasties
- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (2012), Electronic Arts, Inc.
- The Ville (2012), Zynga Game Network Inc.
- Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties (2007), Microsoft Game Studios
- Catan (2007), Big Huge Games, Inc.
- Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends (2006), Microsoft Game Studios
- Rise of Nations: Gold Edition (2004), Microsoft Game Studios
- Rise of Nations: Thrones & Patriots (2004), Microsoft Game Studios
- Rise of Nations (2003), Microsoft Game Studios
- Civilization II (Multiplayer Gold Edition) (1999), MacSoft
- Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire (1999), Electronic Arts, Inc.
- Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (1999), Electronic Arts, Inc.
- Sid Meier's Gettysburg! (1997), Electronic Arts, Inc.
- Sid Meier's Civilization II (1996), MicroProse Software, Inc.
- Once Upon a Forest (1995), Sanctuary Woods, Inc.
- Sid Meier's CivNet (1995), MicroProse Software, Inc.
- Dragonsphere (1994), MicroProse Software, Inc.
- Sid Meier's Colonization (1994), MicroProse Software, Inc.
- Return of the Phantom (1993), MicroProse Ltd.
- F-15 Strike Eagle III (1992), MicroProse Software, Inc.
- Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender (1992), MicroProse Software, Inc.