Developer BIOChris Sawyer is an independent game developer based in Scotland, specializing in constructional / strategic / simulation style PC games.
Chris entered the games industry in 1983, writing games in Z80 machine code on the Memotech MTX home computer, and then the Amstrad CPC series home computer. From 1988 to 1993, Chris specialized in PC conversions of Amiga games, and was involved in many well-known projects, including Virus (1989), Campaign (1992), Birds of Prey (1992), Dino Dini's Goal (1993), and Frontier Elite 2 (1993).
Since 1993, Chris has been developing original games on the PC, the first of which was Transport Tycoon, released through Microprose in 1994. A 'World Editor' version of Transport Tycoon followed in mid-1995, followed by Transport Tycoon Deluxe at the end of that year. Chris's second big project was RollerCoaster Tycoon, released through Hasbro Interactive early in 1999, followed by two add-on packs: Corkscrew Follies in late 1999 and Loopy Landscapes in September 2000.
These games had great sales to say the least, and Sawyer's reputation rose drastically, so sequels were inevitable. In 2002 Chris Sawyer made RollerCoaster Tycoon 2, followed by its expansions, Wacky Worlds and Time Twister, both released in 2003. However, they were criticised because they were almost identical to the first RollerCoaster Tycoon game and did not bring any important improvements, but nevertheless they have revived the RCT community. Later, Atari continued working on the franchise without Sawyer.
The last game Sawyer worked on was Chris Sawyer's Locomotion (2004), but it was pronounced a direct copy of his 1993 Transport Tycoon, but with the engine of RollerCoaster Tycoon 2. After that, he left game development.
Edit Bio | View History
Also Known As
- C. W. Sawyer
- Cities in Motion (2011), Paradox Interactive AB
- Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 (2008), SEGA Europe Ltd.
- RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Soaked! (2005), Atari Europe S.A.S.U.
- RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Wild! (2005), Atari, Inc.
- Chris Sawyer's Locomotion (2004), Atari, Inc.
- OpenTTD (2004),
- RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 (2004), Atari do Brasil Ltda.
- RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 (2002), Infogrames Europe SA
- RollerCoaster Tycoon: Loopy Landscapes (2000), Hasbro Interactive Ltd.
- RollerCoaster Tycoon (1999), Hasbro Interactive Ltd.
- RollerCoaster Tycoon: Corkscrew Follies (1999), Hasbro Interactive Ltd.
- Frontier: First Encounters (1995), GameTek, Inc.
- Transport Tycoon Deluxe (1995), MicroProse Software, Inc.
- Transport Tycoon World Editor (1995), MicroProse Software, Inc.
- Dino Dini's Soccer (1994), Virgin Interactive Entertainment (Europe) Ltd.
- Transport Tycoon (1994), MicroProse Software, Inc.
- Frontier: Elite II (1993), GameTek, Inc.
- Goal! (1993), Virgin Games, Ltd.
- Birds of Prey (1992), Electronic Arts, Inc.
- Campaign (1992), Empire Software
- Elite Plus (1991), Microplay Software
- Conqueror (1990), Rainbow Arts Software GmbH
- Xenomorph (1990), Pandora
- Revenge of Defender (1989), Epyx, Inc.
- Zarch (1988), Firebird Software Ltd.