🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Bugs > Credits: Developers not found

Jo ST (24038) on 7/19/2015 9:22 AM · Permalink · Report

Currently I was adding some credits for an old Sierra game. So: all developers are of course in the database.

But there was a problem: neither "Dan Foy" not "Corey Cole" were found when I enter them. All other developers were found as usual, even with duplicates, see screenshot:

I tried to copy&paste from existing credits (like http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/hoyle-official-book-of-games-volume-2/credits), but still: it does not find "Dan Foy" and want to create the person (database entry, no alt name).

I think this is a bug, especially as I remember adding "Corey Cole" for other credits.

Alaka (106107) on 7/19/2015 11:22 AM · Permalink · Report

Yes, its probably the short name bug. Just add the name as a new developer and in your submission leave a note to the approver that the names needs to be merged.

piltdown_man (236150) on 7/20/2015 6:37 PM · Permalink · Report

So pleased to find this reported. I'm entering some PS3 credits that are largely duplicates of the Wii credits fort the same game and I've hit five of these so far and Jed Wahl, John Dee, Sachi Sato, Ady Das, and Ben Carr.

I know they are on the database, because they are present among the Wii credits, but the search will not find them.

Nélio (1976) on 8/5/2015 1:36 AM · Permalink · Report

Yes, this is currently under progress but so far unresolved.

Does this consistently fail for all names with 4 or less characters or are there exceptions?

Kabushi (261206) on 8/5/2015 6:06 AM · Permalink · Report

There are indeed some exceptions. For example Vietnamese names tend to work fine while Chinese usually don't. Possibly this is because they usually have more than two names, but I have no idea if that's the reason.

ZeTomes (36265) on 9/3/2015 3:56 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm having a similar problem about Centuri, Inc. and Taito Corporation.

Sciere (930490) on 8/5/2015 9:31 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Two more observations:

Some names that are not matched, match afterwards if they are entered as a new developer, approved (not merged during the submission!) and then merged afterwards. I noticed this because Patrick Bregger and I were working on listings for the same studio, and after approving one of his submissions, they were suddenly found when I entered the names in mine. It does not seem to be consistent however.

Secondly, the names also don't match for longer names if they have letters in common, or the same letters starting for first and last name. For instance Brock Brown is not found in the wizard, even though any other name with two times five letters would be found.

piltdown_man (236150) on 9/8/2015 12:11 PM · Permalink · Report

Don't know it it's another instance of the same problem but when I tried to enter the rapper DMX in credits the name was not found, he was found under his real name of Earl Simmons though so I had to enter 'Earl Simmons(credited as Earl Simmons)' to get my credit onto the database

Freeman (65099) on 9/10/2015 2:19 AM · Permalink · Report

Yes, a name like DMX would trigger the bug since it's both a) short and b) a single name entry.

But then again, the system is able to pick up the entry Sana without problem, so I'm not sure.

ZeTomes (36265) on 9/3/2015 3:55 PM · Permalink · Report

A similar error has been happening several times to me Jo. Take a look at my Phoenix credits submission. Cheers