☕ Drink your coffee or tea with your very own MobyGames mug

Forums > Game Talk > Will Direct Action Games ever stop torturing us?

Spartan_234 (424) on 11/1/2006 12:11 AM · Permalink · Report

Even after developing two of the worst games ever made (World War II Combat: Road to Berlin and World War II Combat: Iwo Jima), it seems that Direct Action Games will not give up in its attempt to make gaming look horrible. If Official Xbox Magazine is right, Direct Action Games is now making yet another WWII game, called World War II Combat: Okinawa.

Before Groove Games and Direct Action Games start putting us through more of this proverbial torture, I think I'm going to send a serious e-mail to Jon Walsh (Groove Games' CEO) about these crappy WWII Combat games, and what they and Direct Action Games need to do to make them better.

Zovni (10504) on 11/1/2006 4:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Anyone sick of WW2 games yet?

Spartan_234 (424) on 11/1/2006 11:08 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Zovni wrote--]Anyone sick of WW2 games yet? [/Q --end Zovni wrote--]

I'm the kind of person that doesn't get tired of WWII games as long as they're solid and enjoyable. What I do get tired of, though, is crappy WWII games like the aforementioned World War II Combat games.

Shoddyan (15004) on 11/2/2006 1:05 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Zovni wrote--]Anyone sick of WW2 games yet? [/Q --end Zovni wrote--] or WW2 in general for use in stories/background/setting, movies, books, games, etc. It's pretty much a creative obsession for the last century (or I suppose you could just say "popularity"). In any case Mobygames maintains a World War II Group and as you might imagine, it's one of the biggest ones (315 games as of this moment).

So yeah, I'm sick of it... but my father will play any FPS if it's wrapped around a WW2 theme :)

Slug Camargo (583) on 11/5/2006 11:22 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Zovni wrote--]Anyone sick of WW2 games yet? [/Q --end Zovni wrote--] The thing I can't, for the life of me, understand is how come north american developers brought out about ten hundred thousand WW2 games and some five hundred thousand million medieval fantasy games, and yet there are only about TWO friggin' western games. I mean, what the hell's that about? Weren't cowboys a staple in US pop culture since, like, for ever?

And don't even get me started on games about pirates: NONE.

Jeeez...

Shoddyan (15004) on 11/5/2006 11:45 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] [Q2 --start Zovni wrote--]Anyone sick of WW2 games yet? [/Q2 --end Zovni wrote--] The thing I can't, for the life of me, understand is how come north american developers brought out about ten hundred thousand WW2 games and some five hundred thousand million medieval fantasy games, and yet there are only about TWO friggin' western games. I mean, what the hell's that about? Weren't cowboys a staple in US pop culture since, like, for ever? [/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--] Westerns Group (currently 69 games)

[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] And don't even get me started on games about pirates: NONE.
Jeeez... [/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--] Sea Pirates Group (currently 74 games)
World War II Games Group (currently 316 games)
Medieval/Fantasy Genre (currently 1900 games, but it's also a lot more open a definition then the stuff above. Some examples of stuff in here include Lord of the Rings, Kingdom Hearts, Pinball Quest, Conan, Diablo, Maximo and The Settlers)

Slug Camargo (583) on 11/6/2006 4:17 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start WildKard wrote--] Westerns Group (currently 69 games) Sea Pirates Group (currently 74 games) [/Q --end WildKard wrote--] Yeeeeeah... I guess it was my bad, maybe I should've made clear I meant at least half-decent games ¬¬

Also, about 99.9997% of the games in the "sea pirates group" are about operating spreadsheets with little ships sailing around in the background --for a genre that just begs for a game or ten hundred in the style of, say, the Prince of Persia's.

Игги Друге (46653) on 11/6/2006 9:40 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] The thing I can't, for the life of me, understand is how come north american developers brought out about ten hundred thousand WW2 games and some five hundred thousand million medieval fantasy games, and yet there are only about TWO friggin' western games. I mean, what the hell's that about? Weren't cowboys a staple in US pop culture since, like, for ever? [/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--]

No, the Americans stopped caring about cowboys in the fifties or sixties. Since then, it's been a European business, with spaghetti westerns and Lucky Luke.

Kabushi (261262) on 11/1/2006 4:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Can't be worse than Conspiracy: Weapons of Mass Destruction. Of course that isn't saying much.

Игги Друге (46653) on 11/1/2006 8:05 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm still waiting for the natural follow-ups: Holocaust Tycoon and Mission: Guantánamo Bay.

Depeche Mike (17454) on 11/3/2006 2:17 PM · Permalink · Report

As much as I don't enjoy war games I'd love to try games set in a different one for a change. Their potential for education is overwhelmingly underrated. A 1st person WW1 game? or Korean war? 1812 ;)